Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy Notebook, prod # 0S42UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I discovered this problem when trying to instrall a Deskjet 6980 driver but it seems that it is not a driver problem, it is an os problem.

When I run Print and Scan Doctor it finds the 6980 and gives me a "Get Installer".  When I click that link Oi get this screen:

Screenshot (2).png

When I click the "Driver-Product Installation Software (1)" link I get the followung screen with no option to download the driver:

Screenshot (4).png

Clicking "Learn More" just opens a how-to page not a driver download option.

I called HP about this and was told that the problem is that I have excveeded a limit.  He went looking around, opened up

the Services report.  It shows many services listed as manual startup and not running.   He said that there some limit of 14,000 or so has been reached and that is why I am not seeing an option to download a driver.  He said that the OS side of support would have to get involved to solve this and it would take 45 minutes or so.   I did not have the time available and did not want to spend the support fee that I'm sure it woiuld cost.

Tonight I looked at the services that were listed as manual. One of them was the "Device Setup Manager " with a description of "Enables the dtection, download and installation of device-related software.  If this service is disabled, devices may be configured with outdated software and may not work correctly".    It was listed as a Trigger Start service so it shoild be fine but I started it anyway to see if it helps.

Even if it  does solve my printer driver issue,  i still need to know why so many services are manual start with no associated trigger start, and what the heck this "14,000" limit is , and wht needs to be fixed.

I'll post if the results of the change i made.

Event Viewer (I believe it was Event Viewer but have not been able to get same  report he looked at).   The report showed that many drivers were set to "manual"  He said that shows that some limit of 14,000 or so has been reached and that is why I am not seeing an option to download a driver.  He said that the OS side of support would have to get involved to solve this and it would take 45 minutes or so.   I did not have the time available and did not want to spend the support fee that I'm sure it woiuld cost.   I will do that if I have to but I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to computers  I'm hoping to solve this with some help.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @GPag,

I have checked the records of the printer and as the printer is an obsolete product there are no drivers available for Windows 10.

You need to install the drivers using the Windows built in drivers.

Try the steps recommended below to install the printer drivers.

Uninstall the full feature printer software from root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

Select your HP printer.

Select Uninstall.

In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

Click on Drivers tab.

Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

Refer this article to know more information about installing windows built in drivers. Click Here

Let me know if this helps!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have been able to get the printer tro shoow as the default printer, it is online.  When I try to print a document I get an error status.  How can I debug this error?

Also, is ti possible to print a pdf directly from a thumb drive using the USB slot?

HP Recommended

Hi! @GPag,

Thanks for the update.

As I mentioned in my previous post the printer is obsolete and there are no full feature drivers available for Windows 10. So it needs full feature printer driver to print from windows 10.

No, the printer does not support printing files using the thumb drive.

However, printer can print photos directly from a PictBridge-compatible camera using the front USB port.

Refer the printer user guide to know more information. Click Here

Hope this answers your query!

Take Care!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.