RickOtt
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Chromebook usb test dongles

HP Recommended
Chromebook 14 G4
Chrome OS

I replaced a warranty motherboard in a Chromebook 14 G4 and downloaded the latest RMA Shim. I created the USB and loaded the OS onto the Chromebook. It then aked for the serial and model info which it accepted ok. During the hardware test portion it failed the USB tests and would not go further. Instruction say to connect a USB C to USB A dongle - the idea being to create a loopback between the ports. From the RMA Shim document :

"Before beginning the reimaging process, you might need the following items based on your device configuration:

Micro USB cable

USB 2.0/3.0 cable

USB 3.0 cable"

I tried using a USB C to USB A cable but it would not recognize the USB ports to test. I called HP Support to see if they had part numbers for the cables/dongles needed to complete the Factory Tests but no one seemed to know what I was talking about. I gave up and sent the Chrombook to HP depot. On the repair form I asked if they could tell me a part number for the USB test cables/dongles but the request was ignored. They returned it to me completed same day they received, evidently all they did was connect the correct cables or dongles and let it complete the Factory Test and load the Chrome OS.

I am frustrated as I could have done this myself if I only knew what I needed. The manual says to have USB C 2.0 cable/dongle but everything USB C is 3.0 that I find. My company has several of the Chromebooks in need of repair and it would make life easier if we could get the test dongles or cables needed to do these.

Thanks in advance for any advice ………..

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation