Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion-dv6-2120sv
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, so I bought a new ssd to replace my laptop hdd, connected them both on my desktop pc, downloaded macrium reflect, chose to clone my laptop hdd to the new ssd and it worked successfully but when I connect my ssd to my laptop with the same sata cable that my hdd was connected, when I power it on, after the bios screen I get a black screen with a blinking "_" at the top left.

I tried hard reset and loading optimized defaults on bios, tried hard disk check on bios, tried connecting my usb installation drive for windows but i get the same screen with a "boot error" message above.

What is the problem?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Jazz-Kostas 

Need more details ...

You said it worked successfully in the desktop, but did you boot the desktop with ONLY the SSD connected? Or was the HDD connected as well?

Also, you said you are getting boot error messages but you also say you are only seeing a cursor on black background -- so which is the case?

We can proceed when you provide the information.
Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

It worked successfully I meant the clone operation. When I have my ssd installed I have a blinking _

When I try to boot from the USB I have the boot error and blinking _

I haven't tested the SSD on my desktop if it boots up because I have another ssd there and it has another installation of windows.

HP Recommended

@Jazz-Kostas 

OK, thanks for the clarification.

I've done such cloning myself with MR and never run into the issue you are facing.

Did you clone ALL the partitions on the drive, or only the OS partition?

If you did ALL the partitions, then I am mystified -- because that should have worked, as it has always worked when I have done it.

HP Recommended

Yeah, i copied all partitions.  Now that i dont know if my problem is caused because of the ssd or because of my laptop, can i disconnect my desktop drives and try to boot with only the new ssd connected? Just to see if my system will have the same result?

HP Recommended

@Jazz-Kostas 

Yes, you can do that -- but be aware that if there are major hardware differences, you may not be able to get to a Windows desktop; but, you should be able to see that the OS boots OK.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

I saw on another thread similar to mine someone saying this "There is a BIG chance that folks will NOT be able to boot from their 'new' harddisk with a cloned Windows on it. This is because every harddisk has a Disk ID (or Disk Signature). When you clone your Windows onto a new harddisk, that Windows (the MBR ánd the registry) still contains the Disk ID of the OLD harddisk.

The Windows on your new disk will be looking for your old disk."

So I will try to install a new copy of windows but the problem is that my laptop doesn't let me boot from my usb. What if I install it on my desktop pc (of course with the other drives removed so they are not considered system disks) and then install the ssd on my laptop?

HP Recommended

@Jazz-Kostas 

That information is only partially correct.

While it is true that every disk has its own signature, what that really means is that if you attempt to USE Win10 on a drive that was installed in a different PC, it will eventually contact MS online and, at that point, the OS on that drive will be Deactivated.  That is because MS has a record of the individual PC that was activated with that disk signature.  That does not prevent you from doing the Boot Test you want to do.

HP Recommended

So after 4 days of trying to solve this problem with my laptop, I've come to the conclusion that my laptop doesn't allow other storage devices rather than it's factory hdd to boot. What I hate about laptops is the lack of bios options.

I could boot from my usb and reinstall windows on my ssd and then copy all other folders that i want from my old hdd but the problem is that secure boot is probably enabled and legacy support is disabled so my usb is not allowed to boot... And the worst part is that my laptop's bios doesn't have any of these options although I updated it today to it's latest version..

Please help me I'm out of ideas...

HP Recommended

@Jazz-Kostas 

Sorry, but from what you have said, you've already covered all the bases.

If you can't get into the BIOS to disable secure boot, and as a result, can't boot to reinstall Windows, there is nothing we can do for you from here -- as we have no way of accessing your PC.

If you want to contact an HP Service Center to see if they can do anything, here is the contact information:

If you live in the U.S., here is a link to the HP Service Repair Centers:
https://www.service-center-locator.com/hp-hewlett-packard/hp-hewlett-packard-service-center.htm

If you live outside the U.S., here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: https://support.hp.com/in-en/service-center
Good Luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.