Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello!

I have problem with my sister's 6715b laptop. The fans runs almost all the time at full speed and the whole thing is hot as h*** all the time, even in idle! It also shuts itself sometimes while booting (which takes forever even when formatted)

I reinstalled Win7 instead original vista, no change. I have tried to find how to update bios, but i'm confused ho to do it. 

I used the sp41979 bios update tool (or something like that) which suppose to make and bootable USBstick or floppy or CD, well, it didnt work. It just don't boot from it. Just says; not system disc (or something like that)

It formatted my USBstick about 2 hours!! because it didnt allow to quickformat!??!

My bios version is F.05 dated 26.4.2007. I hope that updating bios will fix this problem. Because it certainly aint dust, which is heating up and slowing down the system.

I wish that someone could help me with this problem. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok. So to be sure, I downgrade back to vista and update bios via windows. Bios version should not change if i instal 7..

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you can copy the BIOS files to a USB flash drive, and there is a flashbin.exe (or whatever the .exe file is named file, then I would make a bootable USB flash drive using this link and the files attached at the bottom.

First you make the drive bootable, and then copy the BIOS DOS flash files to it.

I know it works because I just updated the microcode in a HP dc7800 CMT yesterday using those files.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47812

You should then be able to boot  to the flash drive, be given a command prompt line and you enter the command Flashbin.exe or whatever the BIOS flash file command is for that particular BIOS.

Paul

HP Recommended

Ok, i made the bootable usb-drive. I found bios update file sp36582 (68YTT) for 6715b, but its for vista, is it a problem if i flash from "DOS"? 

Its BIOS version F.07

In the sp36582 folder there are files named; 68YTT (windows says it's cabinet?? file), sp36582.CVA and WSSP36582 (rich text file).

Is one of those the actual bios file which i should copy to the USB drive?

HP Recommended

Hi:

I do not believe you can flash the BIOS in DOS using that windows based flash folder.

There are no executable files present when you extract the CAB folder. Those are the actual BIOS files in that folder.

The program instructions state it can only be run in Windows, and you can't flash it in Windows 7.

Please see this post below, and flash at your own risk. You would flash using a CD.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Recovery/6715b-bios-flash/m-p/1592961#M11628

I'm thinking this is the file the person was referring to.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Paul

HP Recommended

Sorry, I meant by dos, flashing from the bootable USB drive, u told me to do in the previous reply.

So it should work if i copy that .exe (sp36582.exe (831 KB) ) to the usb drive, then boot from it and then execute that file from the drive?

It says in the other post that i should make bootable CD, but can i make bootable USB drive, like in your first reply?

HP Recommended

I really don't know, as I have only flashed HP business notebooks using the Windows based flash.

You can try.

As long as one of the files in the flash folder is an executable, it should work if you invoke the command at the command prompt.

Just make absolutely sure you copy all of the files to your USB drive.

HP Recommended

Ok. So to be sure, I downgrade back to vista and update bios via windows. Bios version should not change if i instal 7..

HP Recommended

Hi:

If you want to go that route, that will be the best thing to do.

Once you update the BIOS, the BIOS version will never change no matter what operating system you install on the PC.

Paul

HP Recommended

Just one last question... is sp55556.exe (2.6 MB) F.20 (2 Dec 2011) the latest BIOS update? And do i need anything else than that to update the bios?

HP Recommended

Hi:

That is correct.  Below is the link to the latest BIOS update to be run on Vista or XP only.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

All you should need to do is download it. Click on the file to run it and follow the on screen instructions.

Do not have any programs open. Do not have an antivirus program running. Since your visit with Vista is temporary, I wouldn't do anything but flash the BIOS.

Make sure the battery is charged and make sure you flash the BIOS with the A/C power connected.

Do not turn off the notebook for any reason during the flash.

Paul

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.