Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all,
I have a Compaq Presario CQ61-310SV notebook that does not want to start — the screen does not turn on and always remains blank. At startup, when I press power button:

1. Lit only leds for Power, WiFi (orange color) and Touchpad;
  2. The fan turns on, but the screen remains blank;
  3. Caps Lock and Num Lock keys blink 2 times in a sequence;

According to these data, I found that there was an error, indicating to failure of the BIOS. But, despite the fact that on the forum I found many of similar cases, no advice did not help me solve this error. So I decided to ask you for help, describing in detail what I tried hoping that you will point to my mistakes and help me to solve the problem.

So:

1. First of all, I tried to perform a hard reset by:
    1. Disconnecting the AC adapter, battery and all external peripheral devices;
    2. Pressing and holding down the power button for about 1 minute;
    3. Plugging the AC adapter back into the notebook;
    4. Trying to turn on the notebook;
    Also I removed the CMOS battery for a few minutes — no result.

2. Next, I tried to recovering the BIOS using key press combination «Win+B» hoping that my notebook has the emergency BIOS recovery feature enabled. But the notebook silently restarts automatically after few seconds after I released the power button. How I tried to do it?
    1. I turned off notebook and I unplugged AC adapter;
    2. I disconnected the battery and all external peripheral devices;
    3. I plugged AC adapter back into the notebook;
    4. Holding «Win+B» I pressed power button and I released it after few seconds;

3. Afterwards I tried to recover the BIOS using an external storage device. For this:
    1. Using another computer I downloaded BIOS update from HP servers;
    2. I extracted files from archive and I copied «363FF13.fd» file to USB key;
    3. I renamed file «363FF13.fd» to «363F.bin»;
    4. Holding «Win+B» I pressed power button and I released it when I heard the first beep;
    5. I counted the number of beeps that are played in the following order: ...-.-.-.-.-.-.- where „.” is a beep and „-” is the pause;
    6. After last pause nothing is happening — no beeps or restarts (at least within ~10 minutes). Only Caps Lock and Num Lock keys blink as mentioned above.

I want note that I have tried all available BIOS versions (F03, F12, F13, F15) — and always got one and the same result. By the way, for example if the USB key does not contain the file «363F.bin» after releasing power button, notebook play a single beep and restarts automatically. If I put an empty file «363F.bin» on USB key — notebook play only 3 beeps and dont’t restarts.

I do not know what happened with this laptop — it worked fine until one day when trying to turn it on, came the "big dark". Before that, did not make any updates or upgrades.

I really hope that you can help me.

Thank you.

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended
I noticed that no one can/wants to try to help and I do not know why... If I did something wrong or you need more information about my problem — please tell me about this and I certainly will update the post.
HP Recommended

Hello Vicktoria,

Please take a look at this page and let me know if it helps resolve your issue.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I am very grateful for your reply, however on the specified page I have not found a solution for my problem — the notebook already been cleaned of dust, and, also according to number of blinks specified in chart, the notebook have a "BIOS corruption failure".

Considering that the problem is not solved, what else should I try/read?
Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi Vicktoria,

Thank you for your reply.  I'm sorry that did not help.  Since the beeps indicate BIOS corruption failure, take a look at this document, and let me know if it helps.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Thanks again. But, as I said in my first post, recovering the BIOS using key press combination «Win+B» not works for me.

This is why I tried to recover BIOS using the second method. So, when HP BIOS Update UEFI finished installation, the USB key was renamed to HP_TOOLS and here were created the following files (just in case, I pasted the entire output of "tree" command):

C:\Windows> tree H: /F /A
Folder PATH listing for volume HP_TOOLS
Volume serial number is 00000002 941B:AF53
H:\
\---Hewlett-Packard
    +---BIOSUpdate
    |       HpBiosUpdate.efi
    |       HpBiosUpdate.sig
    |       HpBiosUpdate.s09
    |       CryptRSA.efi
    |       HpBiosUpdate32.efi
    |       HpBiosUpdate32.sig
    |       HpBiosUpdate32.s09
    |       CryptRSA32.efi
    |
    \---BIOS
        +---Current
        +---New
        \---Previous

Trying to start the notebook using «Win+B» — has not given any results — notebook plays a single beep and restarts automatically. After that, I guess, that the folders "Current", "New" and "Previous" should contain the BIOS files. And I copied the «363F.bin» in the each folder and trying to start notebook — but again without any success.

Maybe, I need other/more files?

Or, maybe I need to use another filename?

HP Recommended
Hey, gurus, where are you? I still need your help...
HP Recommended

Hi Victoria,

The same thing happened to my Compaq Presario CQ-61-335ev. I myself tried everything that I could think of to no avail. I also got the problem out of the blue. It was working fine before the screen went black.

I didn't have the HP_TOOLS partition on my hard drive to do the Win+B recovery and had to use the USB. I also copied HP_TOOLS from a different computer and replaced the bios files and added it to my laptop hard drive (via a different computer) to try running the recovery through the hard drive. No luck.

What I am surprised is the fact that almost everyone on the internet and forums is clueless as I am.

(By the way, do you have your HP_TOOLS partition intact? Can you upload a copy of it somewhere online? The issue with me might be the files in the HP_TOOLS partition I copied)

HP Recommended

@IndikaJ,
Sorry, but I don’t have a copy of HP_TOOLS.

ps. I still have not solved my problem 😞

HP Recommended

Hello Vicktoria

The issue you are describing with your Compaq Presario CQ61-310SV appears to be a physical issue and I think it would be best if you contacted HP technical support for repair options.

US Support link to contact options for laptops purchased in the US.

Outside of US Support link to contact options for laptops purchased outside the US.

If you have any further questions or concerns please re-post

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.