Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion Gaming 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

All of a sudden today, my computer started booting to rather than Windows 10. There have been no recent updates, and the computer was running find prior. No recent error messages or odd behavior.

I am not sure if the issue began after shutting down the computer this morning. I had hibernated the computer prior, and it had been running for about three days consistently (something that I usually do without issue; I've had it run for weeks on end before). This morning's shutdown was routine, but when I restarted the computer, it booted to System Recovery Options. There is no option to continue to Windows 10.

There doesn't seem to be an option to restore Windows 10 without losing everything and doing a factory reset (which I would much rather avoid). Startup repair is failing (no log file seems to be created), and SFC /scannow doesn't seem to work in the Command Prompt of the recovery console. 

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I ended up doing system recovery after installing a new SSD using saved recovery media.

The HDD is still working fine, was able to back up a lot of my important items to a flash drive. I am also able to connect the HDD using a SATA to USB connector and access all of my documents that were on the disk.

I am perplexed as to what happened, but with the new SSD, the computer is running fast, almost like new, and running a lot cooler too.

Issue resolved.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

There could be a problem with the Hard Drive. First, I would try performing HP Hardware diagnostics at boot and see if there are any hardware errors (such as the Hard Drive)

Turn off the PC by holding the power button. Turn on PC and continuously keep pressing ESC until the startup menu appears and then press F2 to enter diagnostics. Try the fast test, or at least the hard drive test.

See if there are any hardware errors.

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I ran the extensive system diagnostics and the hard drive diagnostics and the computer passed all of the tests.

Any further suggestions?

HP Recommended

I ended up doing system recovery after installing a new SSD using saved recovery media.

The HDD is still working fine, was able to back up a lot of my important items to a flash drive. I am also able to connect the HDD using a SATA to USB connector and access all of my documents that were on the disk.

I am perplexed as to what happened, but with the new SSD, the computer is running fast, almost like new, and running a lot cooler too.

Issue resolved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.