Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop 14-ce0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had this problem for a while now, and I've tried every solution I could find on the internet, but to no avail.

Sometimes, when I close the lid to my laptop to put it to sleep, the laptop does not properly turn to sleep.  Rather, you can still hear the processor of the laptop running, and it is still warm, but the screen is black as if it was sleeping.  The power light, which is supposed to turn off and on when in sleep mode, stays on.  I am not able to interact with the computer at all when this happens except for turning the keyboard lights off and on, but even that stops working after a while.  When left in this state, the battery continues to drain as if the computer was running normally, and if left in this state for too long, the computer does run out of battery.  My only option is to turn the computer off and on.

The odd part of this issue is how inconsistent it is.  It only happens about half of the time I close my laptop.  However, whenever my laptop goes into sleep mode automatically through inactivity, it always enters this state.

Any ideas as to how I can solve this problem?  I have had this computer for a little over a year, but this issue has persisted for as long as I can remember.  Lately, it's been getting worse.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

It could be the motherboard that is creating the issue. Would suggest you to  try the following method.

1. Disconnect everything

2. Unplug power

3. Push 2-3 times the start button to eliminate remaining current

4. Reconnect everything

5. Push the start button

If it does not work, try this:

• Try pressing the NUM lock key when your PC is on and monitor has blacked out.
  • If the NUM pad key light (green) lights up (there are 3 small lights on the key boards - it's the 1st one I'm talking about) then your Motherboard is ok.
  • If not green light does light up, you need to consult the computer mechanic.

In case of any unexpected issue may occur, you're strongly recommended to back up your computer or important files to external hard drive.

Hope my answer comes in handy for you.

HP Recommended

Hello:

I’m sorry, those solutions do not work for me. My computer does not have a num lock. I’ve attached a picture of the computer in its blackout state. As you can see, the power light is on, and the computer is making noise, but no interaction I make with it is doing anything.

BE309C6D-ECA6-43C9-82D4-1B8F3CFFCDFE.jpeg

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry that it didn't help you, have you checked screen saver settings as well?

Try this:

Settings -> Personalisation -> select screen saver settings (at the bottom) -> Select the screen saver you want or select none Make sure you check the box that says 'ON RESUME, DISPLAY LOG IN SCREEN'.

Hope that works for you, please let me know.

HP Recommended

Hello:

I'm sorry, this solution was not what I was looking for.  This only makes my screen go to the lock screen when inactive.  When I close the lid to my laptop, it sometimes does not go into sleep mode as intended but rather keeps running with an unresponsive black screen, and I have no choice but to power it off with the power button.

HP Recommended

You can try to disable Fast Startup, then try again. 

Press Windows key + X 
Click Power options 
Click Additional power settings under Related settings 
Click Choose what the power button does 
Click Change settings that are currently unavailable 
Uncheck 'Turn on fast startup (recommended) 

Click Save changes. 

Click Restart now and see if it works.

You can run in-built Power troubleshooter and check, or reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back with their default settings.

HP Recommended

Hello:

Well, I tried this, and after a few days of testing, it does not seem to have made a difference.  The computer still enters this state.

HP Recommended

Really sorry to hear that. Otherwise you can test the laptop with an external monitor to see if it is hardware related issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.