Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360

The laptop was fine when I got it in august (sometimes slow when I clicked the on button) but yesterday it started freezing as soon as i started it up & if I clicked on any applications the screen went either black or white. Now there are difficulties with me logging in, it freezes which makes it difficult for me to put in the passcode. The touchpad, touchscreen and certain keys also don’t seem to be functioning properly.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@Am2001, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance, and find tips!

I understand you are having issues with a slow startup on your PC. Don't worry we'll work together to find a solution for you.

I understand you got a replacement of the 1st PC and still have concerns with a slow startup, Before you take any decision, I would suggest you try these steps which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Did you make any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Have you tried to update the drivers using Windows Update or HP Support Assistant?

Have you tried to run any tests on the computer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

I would suggest please update the BIOS of the computer from this link http://hp.com/drivers Select the country and language. Enter the product# and follow the on-screen instructions.

Enter safe mode:

1. Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power 

Power icon > Restart.

2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  3. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options > select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

Re-install Video & Sound card drivers:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  2. In the list of devices, expand the component you want to reinstall.
  3. Right-click the device and select Uninstall (do the same for both Audio driver & Display Adapters)
  4. Click on file and scan for hardware changes (that should automatically reinstall the drivers)

Update your drivers using the HP Support Assistance:

1. In Windows, search for and open HP Support Assistant.
  2. The first time you open HP Support Assistant, a Welcome to HP Support Assistant window opens.
  3. The welcome window displays various default settings.
  4. Click Next to open the My devices window.
  5. Click My devices on the top of the HP Support Assistant window, then click Updates in the My PC box.

For more details: Click here

Keep computer and video card adequately cool:

Overheating can cause your video card’s chipset to lock up, so make sure your PC and your video card are adequately cooled.

Hardware Acceleration to none:

Setting the Hardware Acceleration option to None could fix the error. However, by doing so, you might reduce your video card’s functionality and performance.

Follow these steps:

1. Click Start
  2. Type display in the search results
  3. Select Display from the list
  4. Go to Change Display Settings
  5. Click Advanced Settings
  6. Go to Troubleshoot
  7. Click Change Settings
  8. Drag the Hardware Acceleration slider to None
  9. Click OK
  10. Restart your computer

The above should resolve the issue, although if the issue persists, I would recommend running a system test using the hardware diagnostic tool.

For other troubleshooting steps, please refer to this HP Article for assistance. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.