Teacher
78 3 16
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Copying The Recovery Partition And Using It On A Bootable USB Flash Drive

HP 250 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to know if it's possible to restore the computer by copying the entire recovery partition over to a bootable USB flash drive? I have already created the recovery discs, but I would like to preserve the factory recovery partition and use it externally since I want to completely remove it from the hard drive. (I need to remove a partition so that I can use MBR2GPT to create a UEFI boot partition for Windows 10).

Here's what I did so far as a test... I copied the recovery partition as-is (no change in size) using MiniTool Partition Wizard over to an external hard drive. When it was done, I marked the partition as active so that it would boot. Upon restarting, the computer detected the recovery partition on the external drive and successfully booted into the recovery manager. Now, the question is, will it successfully recover to the internal hard drive should I ever need to preform a recovery?

7 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
12814 1664 4244
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

No member in this forum has reported a success in doing this.

I have also been disappointed twice previously​

If you do it successfully, this thread would be bookmarked for sure, for any future reference

Regards

Visruth
I'm a Volunteer AND I don't work for HP

Click the "THUMBS UP ICON" to say thank you and Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" if this is the answer you needed
0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
78 3 16
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does it depend on who makes the program? (Mine is Cyberlink)

I would attempt this if I had a spare SATA drive, but I currently don't. Even if I did, the notebook doesn't have an door for easy access to the drive and removing the entire bottom is a pain. (I know since I upgraded the RAM).

If worse comes to worse, I can always copy the factory supplied recovery partition back from the USB flash drive. The recovery discs should recreate the recovery partition, but they usually doesn't include everything that originally came with the factory supplied partition.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
12814 1664 4244
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've no idea whether it depends on who makes the program as no one has reported success.

If you happen to do this and succeed, please let us know

Yes factory supplied recovery media should factory reset.

I'm a Volunteer AND I don't work for HP

Click the "THUMBS UP ICON" to say thank you and Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" if this is the answer you needed
0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
78 3 16
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well I removed the recovery partition from the hard drive and tried booting off of it using a flash drive. The flash drive loaded the recovery partition into WinPE, but the options to restore the computer were disabled as the program was probably looking for the the recovery partition on the hard drive.  Prior to removing the recovery partition, the options were available, even when booted off the flash drive. I guess I'll just keep the recovery partition on the flash drive and should I need to restore my computer using that method, I'll recreate the partitions on the hard drive and copy it back.

Just a quick question. Since this was a Windows 7 laptop upgraded to Windows 10 via the GWX promotion, if I was to perform a clean install of Windows 10 from the installation media on a blank hard drive, I should be able to reactivate it? I'd just won't have the OEM installed drivers and software. (Most of which can be downloaded from the product page). I currently don't see a need to go back to Windows 7 as 10 is faster and fixed some hardware issues, particularly the WiFi, but I do use some of the programs that were preinstalled on the computer, some of which are not downloadable from their site. For that reason, it would be best to recover first using the recovery partition/media, and then upgrade back to Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
43572 3218 13456
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kflash08

Once you do the free upgrade and it is activated your hardware id is registered on MS servers. You have lifetime reinstallation rights on the laptop. When installing using the Windows 10 media you can create using the free Download Tool at MS site if/when you are asked for a license key skip it or choose I don't have one-whichever option you have. Once installation is complete the laptop will connect to MS servers and activate automatically.

As you mentioned-this would be a clean install with none of the original HP software. If that is important to you-and it worked in Windows 10- a recovery to 7 first would be the path to take.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***
Teacher
Teacher
78 3 16
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's what I thought. I wasn't sure if the original Windows 7 license had to be present in order to reactivate. Microsoft has changed/relaxed their activation policies with Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
78 3 16
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Looks like I found the preinstalled software and driver installers in the c:\SWsetup folder. This will now make a clean install of Windows 10 much easier.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation