Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 640 g2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello.

Recently I tried to do a HDD clone from an old broken computer to a new one and it went all wrong. The new SSD in the computer is now corrupt and says it's missing bootmgr at startup. Also when trying to do a system restore i get the error message that fpp.wim is missing so it's not possible to do the restore, I'm guessing the recovery files got damaged when trying to do the clone.

Now on to my question:

I've read the guide http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01890478 "Using the Downloadable USB Recovery Flash Disk Creation Utility"

And I'm wondering if i can do that on a working 640 g2 and use it on the broken 640 or if it interferes with the windows license in some way? 

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Recovery disks are not specific to the exact laptop. If the disk is made from the same model series it will work. What model, exactly, are the old and new laptops? 

HP Recommended

They are both the same, we bought them together. They're both 640 g2 with a M.2 SSD. So does that mean i can make a recovery bootable usb from the working computer like it says in the guide i linked in the previous post?

HP Recommended

Yes you can. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response, I sadly get an error while trying to do the recovery from the HP USB Recovery Flash Disk Utility. Saying the source device does not contain HP recovery image, do you know what this means?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.