Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello guys .

Not to long ago i found a forgotten DV9620ED in my staff . I upgraded it with 4gb ram and an SSD and i installed the latest Bios update ( Which was the reason i started my previous thread ) 

I installed Windows 10 and it seemed fine but after a week started to randomly freeze on boot while it was on the windows logo . I tried everything with no luck , and i assumed that is a software issue and not a hardware one , just because i could not find a driver for the graphics card so i used an older one from Windows 7 if i remember correctly and i think this is my problem.

Anyway i reformatted the drive and i installed a windows 7 copy and at the moment i didn't had any issues with the laptop but the version of Windows i had was an old one and of course it refuses to update so i decided to find the latest iso that includes the latest update DEC 2020 but now i have another issue.

During installation Windows asking me for Sata Drivers ,  does anyone have them by chance?  

Ps. In bios there is no compability mode.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

W7 for AMD notebooks should not need a SATA controller driver to install.

If your old W7 installation media worked to install W7, read the info at the link below for how to get Windows update to work.

Windows 7 Update Problems? Read this first. - Microsoft Community

You shouldn't even need to go to the advanced discussion link.

Windows 10 should work if you use this Vista graphics driver and chipset driver (for the coprocessor).

You will need to manually install them though.

Chipset:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36001-36500/sp36213.exe 

Graphics:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp42501-43000/sp42635.exe 

You will also need the SD card reader driver (if you have any base system devices that need drivers).

This driver should install automatically when you ren the exe file.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45112.exe 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

W7 for AMD notebooks should not need a SATA controller driver to install.

If your old W7 installation media worked to install W7, read the info at the link below for how to get Windows update to work.

Windows 7 Update Problems? Read this first. - Microsoft Community

You shouldn't even need to go to the advanced discussion link.

Windows 10 should work if you use this Vista graphics driver and chipset driver (for the coprocessor).

You will need to manually install them though.

Chipset:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36001-36500/sp36213.exe 

Graphics:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp42501-43000/sp42635.exe 

You will also need the SD card reader driver (if you have any base system devices that need drivers).

This driver should install automatically when you ren the exe file.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45112.exe 

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for the information.

I "found" another iso and it worked like a champ this time.

There are been many years since i "touched" one of these so didn't really know what to expect. I dealt with this "issue" during the Golden age of Windows Xp and suddenly my brain froze when it asked me for sata drivers.

I think i will leave it as it is , it's a bit quicker on Win7 and besides the "security updates" i m not seeing any real reason to go again on windows 10 .

In the meantime i changed the cpu fan because it started for no apparent reason to make noise ( maybe from humidity when it was sat so many years ) and i gave it a good clean by the chance.

Now it's good as new and it's more than enough for my father who just wanna browse the internet.

Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You can use the drivers I gave you on W7 too, but you will still need to manually install the graphics driver.

HP Recommended

Yes I have the same issue trying to update to WIn10. I lost my driver for the graphics card and didn't know where to find it. But by the end I solved it by a tool called Driver Talent.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.