Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Yes, and my 'bad', the Steven acct was I thought chgd to standard, but oddly say Admin as well as Steve's.

HP Recommended

Try to login to Administrator account after signing out of current user profile.

HP Recommended

Will switch user work? They're both listed as Admin.

HP Recommended

Please try with both Administrator accounts and try the first tutorial to open elevated command prompt

HP Recommended

Obviously not, my duh.

Oddly when logged off and back on as the other acct (Admin as well), since I hadn't yet set up the desktop, etc., when I did go for the finger-print reader's asking if I wanted to set up 'that' user's account for the reader, I clicked yes, but it immediately opened to what seems to be my main acct's desktop.

Then a window for Create a new account opened, awaiting a user name entry.

Likely as when I logged off, I'd left open the UAC window I'd been at.

So I'll close it, log off and back on as I should have (without anything open).

Sorry. 

HP Recommended

Umm.  Got bumped offline just as I went to click "post".

Tired the secondary acct, but balks at r-clicking the start..command s-cut.

Also seems that trying "both" acct's, or the primary one, seems redundant in that we've already established it's fialure at both tutorials (except the primary acct does succeed at the 'lust' thingy's viewing of user acct's.

I'm headed back to the primary acct as this windows aero is creepy and I've yet to figure out how to import Favorites onto this secondary acct, let alone do the e-mail as well.

Kudos for having hung in here thaat long anyway, maybe catch you when you're fresh, unless you too are a night owl like me. 

Besides, haven't yet figured out how to get the forum here to pop-up with replies 8as it seems like I have to go back to the main post's page in order to view any replies, so I'd been relying on the e-mail propmt to get back to replies.

HP Recommended

Suspecting I may’ve ‘worn out my welcome’ with the respondent (by inferring one of the last requests to re-perform steps which may or may not have been "redundant"), if offense taken, kindly accept my sincere apologies.

In the interim, in that clearly one of two things are going on with the OS.  Either monkey business outside of my control is occurring, or perhaps as I also suspect, perhaps these events are due to a combination of choices I have made regarding one, the initial configuration during clean install (in that I'm unfamiliar with Workgroups and/or Networking, my choices when confronted with the need to provide input when Windows ‘subjecated’ the matter of Workgroup selection.

Likely I needed to have somehow side-stepped that and instead have configured the setup as non-workgroup rather then "public" which is where the setup stands.

And secondly, due to my choice to have hopefully disabled Window Update, that after despite my best efforts to selectively and slowing update MS and HP updates, instead, I found and stopped more than 100 updates from being installed (entirely against my wishes), as having then selected but a single non-important HP update for install.

Infuriated by what seems to be MS's WUC/WUA without question having ignored my update preferences, and no mistaking that as for each and every single time I chose to update, after selecting but the ones I had checked out and was ready to install, each time after that selection, I returned to the update preferences to assure that they had not ‘mysteriously’ have been changed, something I have noticed its doing. And yes, I'm fully aware that by default the important updates automatically reappear ticked anytime one returns to WU and begins choosing desired updates.

As such, following that attempted ‘update rape’ in progress, as mentioned, I canceled the updates before the hundred or so had been installed.  I then uninstalled those some 60 or so and have since disabled WUC seemingly with out success as this morning I found indictions that was not seemingly entirely successful or other aspects of Windows sure seems to have accessed the internet, especuially since the event viewer seems to indicate  WUC having accessed the internet Wi-Fi, despite my having tuned it off (as clearly the event viewer lists RPCSS service, which;s reliant upon WU and a myrid of othe MS services (hving the ability to backdoor onto the internet).

After studying the services listings, I notice that “RPCSS service” seems to be responsible for that Wi-Fi activation and/or caused what I found on the desktop this morning, that being...

The desktop displayed not only re-arranged icons (apparently Windows doesn’t like my chosen resolution or use of Ease of Access’s 200% text selection), but moreover, an overlaid message on the desktop’s bottom right corner, stating "Windows 7 Build 7601" and "This version of Windows is not genuine" .

I have not all day seen the return of it, nor noticed any services denied, nor has Windows Explorer crashed, but I have noticed some graphics issues when closing some windows while others remain open (when the closed window vanished, it seeming left behind, as segment of it (overlaid atop another still open window).

So now I'm fairing certain as mentioned something's afoot here, hopefully only due to the likelihood matter regarding the Workgroup setup and perhaps compounded by disabling only WUC.

But, until I can get help. I've chosen to use msconfig to disable those services which may be accessing the internet.

I had thought of disabling RPCSS service via services directly, however its protected and that option seems dis-afforded to users, thus my going the route of msconfig's disabling it as well as all but essential Windows services.

If that doesn't stop the issue of accessing the internet, then it's back to the drawing board and another clean install (three weeks of work and headaches lost), again unless I can get help otherwise.

Regardless of no word back yet from TeamSpybot, I’m a bit surprised at least a we’ll get back to you wasn’t received. But then I mentioned to them I’d uninstalled SpyBot as a precaution against any unnecessary other backdoors remaining open, and added ‘no hurry in replying back’, especially since I’d e-mailed them a slug of files, hopefully helpful in determining if I had a software issue or mal-ware virus undetected.

Best regards and sorry the for yet another ‘read’,

wguru

HP Recommended

In User Accounts, I deleted all accounts but my own one.

In C:\Users, I deleted the Workgroup account file folder.

In Networking & Sharing Center, I selected connect or disconnect, disco'd Workgroup, then only was I able to dump Workgroup and properly appoint 'networking' as Public.

Still have Windows Explorer crashing routinely, but no longer seeing MS's 'Windows is not genuine' desktop banner overlays. And no longer seeing some 9000 daily event viewer events for Group Policies.

Guessing that something else's a foot within Windows, ie; causing explorer to crash, plus Windows Update trouble-shooter oddly reports 'WU's file are missing or corrupt' says it can't fix it, nor does SFC find any files of issue.

As for nobody ever offering a comment of something like 'everyone's command propmpts defaults with non-admin priviliages, and everyone has to r-click the link in order to see the assurred 'admin priviliaged' Command DOS line which reads "C:\Windows\system32', so I'm guessing that this's normal (but I had no idea until I resolved the matter of inappropriately being in a Workgroup).

Will post back if I find any final resolutions.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.