Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi! I should do some operations on hard disk's partitions. Now I have 4 primary partitions: System, the partition with Win7, Recovery, and HP_Tools. I need another primary partition, and I don't want to delete HP_Tools!! This is my idea:

1- Create a "system image" of the operative system on DVDs and delete Recovery;

2- Create an image of HP_Tools and delete it;

3- Create an extended partition. Then create a logical partition and restore HP_Tools in it.

So, HP_Tools will keep its functions? Or it can't work correctly as a logical partition?

Thank you,

Davide

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, you can create the Recovery kit and then delete the Recovery Partition. Here is the link that has the steps to create and then how to use them in future:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01895783

You can delete the HP tools partition and create it on a flash drive or a pen drive. Here is the link that will help you to download the utility that will help you to recreate HP tools partition on the hard drive or on the flash drive:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-99123-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Yes, you can create the Recovery kit and then delete the Recovery Partition. Here is the link that has the steps to create and then how to use them in future:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01895783

You can delete the HP tools partition and create it on a flash drive or a pen drive. Here is the link that will help you to download the utility that will help you to recreate HP tools partition on the hard drive or on the flash drive:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-99123-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

Hi,
Check the link below:
How to repartition HDD of HP notebook with pre-loaded Windows 7.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

Hi! I have a question about the HP_Tools partition. I just installed an SSD on my dv7t-6100.  I migrated my OS to the SSD, and it works great.  The 199MB "System" partition now lives on the SSD, but the HP_Tools partition stayed on the HDD.  Is that OK?  Can it live there and do whatever it's supposed to do?

HP Recommended

@pbasch

Hi,

Press F2 on the startup. If the HP System Diagnostics will show up then HP_Tools partition is still working like it should.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

i am still not sure if this actually works or answers this part of the question:

3- Create an extended partition. Then create a logical partition and restore HP_Tools in it.

So, HP_Tools will keep its functions? Or it can't work correctly as a logical partition?

Is HP_Tools just a simple FAT partition with some programmes on it? Why does it need special software in order to back it up? is it the same if i copy the files from it to a USB key and then delete the partition. Then create a new logical FAT32 partition in it's place with same name and then copy all data to it.

i juast need a primary parittion to stick linux on it and i do not understand why all parittions (tools, system and windows recovery) are set as primary by default thus occupying the max 4 primary limit. does it have to be like that or can hp_tools become a logical/extended parittion and still function as it was ment to.

HP Recommended

I have a problem and please some one help, HP Support assistant was updating "HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI" but it failed.

I donwloaded it manually to see what is the problem, It says can't find HP_Tools partion ( its there, never touched it or even open it before). 

I keep retry but keep fail to detect the partition.

Please help. thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.