cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
disruptivehende
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Did I mess something up while installing Windows?

HP Recommended
OMEN 15-en0009ns
FreeDOS

Hi everyone,

After buying my laptop that came with FreeDos I tried installing Windows with the normal steps (Media Creation Tool on USB, boot order, etc.) However, when it was time to select in which drive to save it is when I think I messed up, there were four partitions, and one was an mbr, the other the main disk and I don't remember the name of the other two, but I know they had almost no space allocated, a few MB or less. Then the following happened:

1. I chose the main disk, but I was prompted with a message that Windows could not be installed in this format, I think it mentioned GPT.
  2. Then I watched a YouTube video that instructed to do the following:

Pressed Shift + F10 to prompt the command console. And then I used the following commands: diskpart > list disk > select disk 0 > list partition > clean.

This removed the other partitions, leaving me with my main drive (around 500GB), as the only one in the list.

3. This seemed to work as I could proceed with the installation, but after installing the files when rebooting the computer, it prompted me again to install the files one more time, and the machine started to go very slow. That was solved when I changed the boot order again to the OS first. But then it showed the following error message:

Mensaje de error.jpg

4. I followed another tutorial and did the following:

• Shift + F10
    • In the command line: regedit
    • I went to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status \ChildCompletion
    • I edited the Setup.exe file changing the Value information from 1 to 3. Keeping the Hexadecimal base.
    • I clicked Accept in the error message.

This allowed me to install Windows and everything is working, however, I really have no idea about what I did, and how this can affect the machine in the future. Should I be concerned? Anything I should do?

3 REPLIES 3
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,382 30,289 2,764 6,692
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@disruptivehende 

When the disk is formatted GPT, it wants a UEFI version of Windows -- which, from your description, you did not have.

That is easily fixed.

If you download an ISO of Windows to create install media, you can then also download the free RUFUS utility -- and that can be used to make a UEFI-bootable version of Win10 install media -- which you can then use to install to a gpt-formatted drive,.

You can get RUFUS from here:  https://rufus.ie/

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
disruptivehende
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you, @WAWood.

Following the commands I described to clean the disk I was able to successfully install Windows, my question is if those steps I took could cause problems.

0 Kudos
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,382 30,289 2,764 6,692
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@disruptivehende 

IF windows is working without issue then no, those did not cause problems.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation