Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Last thing which you may try is to install driver for it, but I doubt that this will work. Be sure that you uninstalled all Validity sensor drivers and all fingerprint reader software like DigitalPersona or HP SimplePass.

Download and install:

Validity sensor driver here

If problem is still unsolved then I think that the best solution would be to return the laptop to the shop and replace it there a different or the same model. When there will be problem with returning this model then please contact with HP and inform them about this situation.How to do it all informations here (just choose Your country).

I'm not sure what may be the problem here, becuase there are many possibilities. As you know there is a problem with detecting correctly some kind of usb device so I thought from the beginning that this is issue with fingerprint reader. It may be for example problem with wire which connects fingerprint reader with moterboard.

I can't suggest you any other solutions. I just can't find anything else to try without voiding warranty.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

OK thanks for trying to help. It has a years warranty so I think ill call HP at the nearest opportunity I get to have it repaired.

HP Recommended

It will be great if you will come back and write here how this problem was solved.

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended
Things have developed a bit. The laptop won't switch on at all now, I bought the laptop for the online hp student store so I called in and I've tried everything the support guys said too do. They seem to be treating it as 2 different issues. They want to send out a replacement charger to fix the issues with it not turning on and then go through the motions of fixing the fingerprint scanner afterwards. I spoke with escalations and they can't approve a replacement or refund and told me to speak with customer services tomorrow. I still like hp products but the support is waring a little thin and I'm not sure if ill puchase another one if they make the refund process difficult. In short tech support is very good but escalations was awful.
HP Recommended

You wrote that you have purchased this laptop from online shop. Could you write the exact date of receipt?

HP Recommended

sure the date on the invoice is 07/09/2010 and it shipped the day after. I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask nicely for a replacement or refund so I can buy a new one.

HP Recommended

Let me know how the situation ended.

HP Recommended

well I called HP customer support and they referred me to sales, I spoke with a very helpful advisor and he replaced the laptop without any problems after I explained what had happened. I got my new laptop today and everything is great (E.G it switches on and the fingerprint scanner works).

HP Recommended

Tnx for your reply. It's good to know that this story ended well. 🙂

HP Recommended

A Install the Validity fingerprint driver and the DigitalPersona Personal software

Before you will do anything please be sure that the previous fingerprint reader driver and software was uninstalled.

Resource:

Uninstalling Software in Windows 7

Uninstall or change a program in Windows7

Download and install the Validity fingerprint driver from here (installator ver 4.1.139, driver ver 2.1.0.2 32/64 bit Win7, released on 13-08-2010)

Download and install the fingerprint software DigitalPersona Personal ver 4.10.3790 for 32bit Windows 7 here and for 64bit Windows 7 here.

Restart the system.

The fingerprint sensor should now be detected by DigitalPersona Personal software.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.