17 11 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Disk partition recommendation

Omen 15-5001na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was kindly guided by this forum to get started on full system restore after my SDD failed. I am installing on to a new SDD.

I was advised of 2 options:

1. New install using Windows Media Creator for Win 10 (my device was running Win 10 before failure)

2. Install using HP recovery media (that is in the post). This will restore to factory settings with Win 8.1 (that I will later upgrade).

I have commenced on option 1 but a question has arisen at the point where I must select the installation disc. Should I create any partitions and what size is recommended? My feeling is partitions are not that useful for me unless it's a recovery partition. But unless I go down the HP recovery media option, I think the recovery partition is not an option/not worth it. 

I just want to check if there is something I should consider/have missed, and would appreciate the experienced advice from the forum on if i should install a partition and the size.  

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
18,021 17,966 1,678 3,949
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Disk partition recommendation

@munrorunner 

Regarding Recovery Partitions, you are correct in that only the HP Recovery option allows for the creation of that.  You can not create one that will work, on your own.

As to partitioning, my own preference is to have a smaller OS partition and a larger Data partition. I do that because I do weekly image backups of the OS partition and those take less space when the partition is smaller.

As to size,  run several Win10 systems and have found 50GB to be ample size for the OS partition as that allows room to spare for large Feature Upgrades.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation