Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook Folio 1020 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Please I need help, some days back I was using my laptop to see a movie and all of a sudden the screen went blank, nothing was showing so I decided to wait and try putting it on later and what I saw was a distorted screen, sometimes it shows clearly like it's ok then changes again. I don't know what else to do

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@3gaace

When you were watching the movie, did you download it to your PC and watch it from there? Or, were you streaming it from an online service?

Asking because if the network bandwith drops (which it can for any reason) during streaming, the screen can simply go blank.  I've had that happen more than once, and I have to reboot the laptop and reconnect to the streaming service.

Were you watching it from a DVD?

Also, what do you mean by "distorted screen" -- please provide some details.

We can proceed when you provide the information.
Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I transferred the movie from my phone to my PC with a USB cord, I wasn't streaming or watching online. By saying distorted I mean showing blank screen sometimes and showing lines sometimes. When I get lucky the screen clears and become normal but other times it just goes back to being blank.

HP Recommended

What video player were you using? Asking because Windows Media Player, the default one for Win10, is unreliable.

HP Recommended

I was using VLC to watch the movie. 

HP Recommended

@3gaace

One of the problems that VLC has is hardware acceleration.  You should go into settings and confirm that is turned off.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.