Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ENVY Notebook - 15-k201tx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hii,

From where can I download the "Hotkey Support" software for ENVY Notebook - 15-k201tx?

I have already ordered the computer, and it'll be delivered in next 48 hours.

I'm downloading all the drivers and saving them on an exernal hard drive.

My current notebook (probook) won't allow me to use the 'fn' key shortcuts unless I install the "Hotkey support" software.

I'm assuming that's also the case with the Envy?

But if I go to the "Download Drivers" page, it doesn't show me the option to download "Hotkey Support".

Where can I get it from?

PS: I know hotkeys will work right out of the box, and if i recover using the recovery partition.

I still want to keep a version ALL the drivers in a backup location - i generally don't use the "Recover" option for recovery, I reinstall from scratch using my own Windows DVD, and not having an essential driver will be a major setback!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hi,

If Action Key functionality is enabled in BIOS, you don't have to press fn key in combination with F shortcut key to enable or disable the appropriate key featured in Consumer notebooks like Envy.

If you need fn+f key to work instead of F key alone, disable Action key

http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02035108

There is no separate driver for it.

Regards

Visruth

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
Hi,

If Action Key functionality is enabled in BIOS, you don't have to press fn key in combination with F shortcut key to enable or disable the appropriate key featured in Consumer notebooks like Envy.

If you need fn+f key to work instead of F key alone, disable Action key

http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02035108

There is no separate driver for it.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Thanks bro 🙂

hey is there a way to DOWNLOAD the Windows 8.1 ISO?

I can get (cracked copies of) it from torrents, but it's not a good idea is it- I was wondering if there's a better way to get a legit Windows OEM ISO?

The disk I presently have is 8.1 Pro, and the version that'll come with the new computer is Windows 8.1 (not Pro), so I'm guessing I won't be able to activate it if I install it using my "Pro" disk?

The computer WON'T come with a Windows DVD, only a recovery partition (which I hate, I always like MINIMAL Windows installations with only the essential drivers, additional bloatware just slows down the laptop, makes it run hot, uses more RAM and HDD space, you know what I mean ... )

THIS is the computer I ordered..

HP Recommended
Hi,

Good machine 🙂

No Pro image can't be activated by Core key embedded in the OEM laptop BIOS chip

Of course there is a legal and simple method to download Windows 8.1 Update ISO and make a UEFI bootable USB with the image.

Before going in for Clean Install, I'll have to ask you to create Recovery USB and keep it safe:
http://support.hp.com/id-en/document/c03481733

Now, please follow Option 1 in this tutorial as it is:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/18309-windows-8-windows-8-1-iso-download-create.html

You've to select the exact version of Windows 8.1 on running the Windows Media creation tool of Microsoft. Most probably it is Windows 8.1 Single Language Core x64.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Thanks 🙂

I got the laptop delivered, and I'm overall very satisfied with it's performance.

The graphics is really good, I can play all my games in "high" settings. 🙂

I haven't downloaded the Windows ISO yet, just been too busy playing games on the new computer-my probook didn't have a graphics card and games struggled, even at "medium" settings...

However, there are a couple of things that I didn't see before the purchase, and am thinking would it have been a better idea to get another probook instead of the envy?

The reason I chose the Envy is it offers better hardware at the same price.

But I'm worried about the following two things:

1> IT'S EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO SERVICE. I downloaded the service manual and it looks like the only two things that are easy to remove are (a)battery and (b)DVD burner. You have to remove like 30 screws to change the hard drive.

The hard drive is NOT like the ProBook- it does not connect to the motherboard directly- instead there is a cable connecting the drive to the motherboard!

To upgrade the RAM, you have to remove the whole motherboard!

WHY did they make it so difficult? I'm pretty comfortable replacing hard drives and RAM sticks, but taking apart the motherboard off a laptop is something I have never done. Turns out, I cannot change the RAM/ add a new RAM without removing the motherboard. Don't you think it's a bit too risky to take the motherboard out? 

Man I'm thinking i will need to call up HP service if I ever need to upgrade the RAM.

I can maybe replace the HDD myself, but this too looks a bit too risky- the laptop opens from TOP, not bottom, and there are FIVE cables connecting the top part to the bottom part (some of them really TINY). If I make a slight mistake while taking it apart, I will break the connection cables or the slot where the cables go in the motherboard...

And the service manual doesn't tell how to replace the keyboard. Can it be replaced at all??

It's a weird internal design. It looks great from the outside, but it'll be a nightmare to service once something goes bad.

2>I read some posts that the Envy series has issues with OS reinstalls-- some people said Windows will refuse to install and complain that a CD/DVD driver is missing!

Some said that the graphics stop working after a fresh install of Windows 8.1, and all they get is a black screen!

Have you heard of any of these?

The computer is performing better than my old probook in every way, but my probook has never had problems with reinstalling Windows. I even managed to install OpenSuse 13.2 on it, and it dual-boots fine with Linux.

My probook is also fairly easy to service. Replacing the HDD/ RAM/ WiFi/ Keyboard/ DVD is so easy a child can do it, and I replaced my HDD, added a new RAM myself, it's soooo easy.

Did I make a bad choise? Would it have been better to get a Probook again? Of course it would have less performance (less memory, less graphics, no backlit keyboard, no woofer, slower CPU, lower screen resolution) if I spent the same amount..

It's too late now, I have already got the Envy, and I LIKE IT too... but ...

What would you have done?? Probook or Envy? (Remember, we're spending the same amount, we won't spend more to get a Probook which has a similar configuration as the Envy)..

HP Recommended
Hi,

Specs: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-15-Notebook-PC-series/7527530/model/7584166/document/c04...

More and more consumer notebooks manufactured in recent times have very difficult internal architecture.
May be because manufacturers are not expecting consumers to do significant changes in their factory configurations considering the fact that it is the compact and mobile notebooks they're dealing with & not full fledged desktops.

One of my Pavilion 15 notebook has almost similar internal picture. And I had given it to nearby HP service center to do SSD & RAM upgradation soon after the purchase, they did it for me free.

For the features your laptop gives, I'll be pretty much satisfied.

If you're going to do a clean install, I'll suggest you download all the drivers from your support page and store it in USB drive. Also copy all the factory set drivers from c:\swsetup folder to your USB too. These are the drivers guaranteed to work in the installed operating system from factory.

It seems that your model had switchable graphics Intel-NVIDIA, so other than using the factory drivers for graphics I'll not bet on anything else as switchable functionality will cease to function on anything else.

Do not update the graphic drivers at all is my advice.

If at all you want to try updating, get it from HP support page only.

Regards

Visruth
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.