Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-da0087nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear all,

I'm currently dealing with the following issue:

I purchased a notebook HP 15-da0087nl with Win 10 (64bit) preinstalled. Then I made a partition of 500GB formatted by Win 10 NTFS.

I need to make a dual boot by installing Win 7 Ultimate 64bit on the new partition. I could start the installation correctly by mean of a USB boot key, but at the first restart of new installed OS Win 7, the system get stucked and installation doesn't complete correctly.

Anyone could suggest anything?

Is the HP 15-da0087nl compatible with Win 7 Ultimate 64bit?

Thanks a lot for the attention.

BR

Cristiano

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi, Cristiano:

You can't install W7 on any Intel 8th gen core processor platform for a couple of major reasons.

1. There are no W7 USB 3.1 drivers which is why the USB key isn't working.

2.  There are only W10 drivers for the graphics and wifi adapters.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

thanks a lot for the answer.

Please, let me ask some more... does this mean that I can't install at all Win 7?

Actually, I installed all files of Win 7 Ultimate 64bit on the partition that made in Win 10. Therefore at the first restart the installation couldn't be completed, since Win 7 stucked on starting.

Is there any option to make a dual booth with this notebook model? May be downloading some proper driver for Win 7?

In case I couldn't install Win 7 in dual boot, what would be the option? May be installing Win 10 on a second boot?

The fact is that I need an OS that doesn't have to be online at all, as I need to reinstall very old aSW applications.

Thanks a lot Paul.

BR

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If your notebook has an internal DVD drive you should be able to install W7 via DVD, because then it wouldn't need USB drivers.

You would also have to enable legacy mode and disable secure boot in the BIOS in order to install and run W7 on your notebook.

HP Recommended

Dear Paul,

thanks a lot for your kindness.

I will schematically give you some more detailed info, to let you understand the issue.

1. The notebook model is HP 15-da0087nl
  2. Preinstalled OS Win 10
  3. HDD internal 1TB TOSHIBA MQ04ABF100
  4. DVD drive present

My need is to install Win 7 to a partition in order to have a dual boot system.

Therefore, I tried out all the following actions:

1. made a partition on Win 10 (main OS, Disk Management action) of about 500GB and formatted (slow formatting) NTFS
  2. modified the UEFI/BIOS by setting Legacy ENABLED and Security DISABLED.
  3. set the BIOS boot priority as follows:
    1. DVD driver
    2. USB port
    3. HDD
    4. USB externa DVD driver
  4. F10 save and exit BIOS
  5. restart with Win 7 PRO installation on DVD driver
  6. the installation started, but the process couldn’t detect any drive and partition. Then, a message popped up asking for a device driver for CD-DVD unit.
  7. Downloaded from Intel the following drivers:
    1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23538/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-AHCI-for-Windows-7-8-...
  8. Burned a CD with driver and started the installation from point 5.
  9. When the message popped up, I inserted the CD and the detected driver was the:
    1. 1_12.9.0.1001_f6flpy-x86.zipfor 32-bit versions of the operating system
  10. The OS installation started loading the driver, but after a while has stuck and a message popped up saying the impossibility such a driver… contact the supplier for an updated driver.
  11. I repeated everything from point 5. , but this time with Win 7 Ultimate 64bit. This time the detected driver was the:
    1. 1_12.9.0.1001_f6flpy-x64.zip - for 64-bit versions of the operating system
  12. Same result: the OS installation started loading the driver, but after a while has stuck and a message popped up saying the impossibility such a driver… contact the supplier for an updated driver.
  13. Changed 1st strategy: I made an ISO image of both OS Win 7, then two different bootable USB key with Rufus -> same results by booting from USB port, with both Win 7 PRO and Ultimate 64bit.
  14. Downloaded a Win 10 image from Microsoft and made a USB bootable key -> this OS installation can correctly detect all partition and start installation without problem.
  15. Changed 2nd strategy: I went back to Win 7 Ultimate, but by launching the installation from Win 10, after set back BIOS to UEFI, Legacy DISABLED and Security DISABLED, and from prompt executing the following in order to disable the digital signature:
    1. exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    2. exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
    3. Restart
  16. The result was the best one from the beginning -> all the files of Win 7 Ultimate 64bit where correctly installed, but at the first restart the new OS stuck on STARTING, and the installation COULDN’T BE COMPLETED!
  17. Turning on the computer, that’s the situation at the moment, the system detects the dual boot with Win 10 as second option, but the Win 7 first option actually report “SETUP INSTALLATION”. By following the installation setup, the new OS stuck again on starting.

I purchased an external DVD driver as well, I’ll receive it by next 10 days.

Could be any incompatibility between Win 7 and the BIOS version F.02 of the notebook?

Does it make sense?

What could I do more?

Please, forgive me for the long message, but I need to informed you with details.

Thanks a lot for the attention and help.

BR

Cristiano

HP Recommended

Hi, Cristiano:

Unfortunately, I don't know why W7 isn't installing from the DVD.

I think other forum members have installed W7 on Intel 8th gen platforms, there just aren't any graphics or USB3.1 drivers.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

thank you.

Any suggestion about who/where could I ask to?

Cristiano

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I'm sorry but I don't know of anyone on this forum that could help you any better than I could.

You may want to check other forums such as the Intel forum.

HP Recommended

OK Paul,

Thanks a lot.

BR

Cristiano

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.