Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I cant delete my wrong post,   so will comment on 8540.

facts  !; have 6 running on W10, in my family (i built them ) 8540p/w.. all. ALl is good , except.....

HP does not have W10 support for this PC. (Laptop) ! (partial yes, full NO)

support means , all SOFTWARE to make all PAID FOR FEATURES NEW, work correctly...

IT DOES NOT.

For example the security package is INOP here.  and other things.

like the SOFPAQ features that loads all w7 software with 1 click is DOA.   (the best of the best this is and is dead)

HP does not upgrade all 10,000 pcs they made to w10, how can that happen (devils advocate) tell me? love to hear that ?

what does work well,  is all the basics , the non ELITE parts, (1/2 joking)

Windows 10 runs great. (simplistic)

and most the drivers work , with some needing to be force loaded (w7 driver on top W10 stack)

my upper key panel works, HP custom design it, is and is not MS design at all. and must work, and does.

What works and not , also depends on if its and UPGRADE or clean load of W10.

That does not mean that some drivers and software are not W10 Ready, in fact is is.

if you do this , some do work, here is the METHOD.

W10 installed (Microsoft , no HP)

1: i get all the w7 drivers off the HP page, every one

and load them in the correct order (tricky no?)

and some fail, each EXE file runs and tells you , loaded ok, and it works. (some many not)

lets say software, shows errors loaded (exe run) and you the seach the WHOLE HP site for all same named software

and find it, and low and behold its says certified for W10,  and you try it and it works.

but that means that chunk of software is not certified for 8540's NOW.

you get to be the guinea pig

the software must be cross platform certified, not just w10 happy.

see?

the Security package does not work,  nor the same package for drive encryption.

clean load ,HDD/SSD slicked, empty

MS W10 fails to support many things.  vast printers, scanners, and other peripherals.

the list is HUGE,  ask or read MS,  HQL lists. 

Lost my favorate flat bed scanner like this.

The older the hardware the more likely this will happen to you... that includes, every chip made, now not supported.

(makers of vast chips are defunct now or never supported past XP, VISTA or W7) a hard cold fact.

at the least....

lesson 2.

The upgrade will grand father , some older w7 drivers!

that a clean LOAD will never do. (even on the new harsh Certificate rules in W10 !!!)

facts.   and good to know.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

error 2 on my part

if you follow email links to here, it does not go to the correct page.

it goes to last page you posted, not logged in. wow.

so you must log in FIRST , then go back to email then use that link.again.

sorry for 2 posts to learn this BUG

HP Recommended

I pulled it out

1. pulled out the battery ?
  2. or the line cord? pulled.?

if #2 the battery is bad.  they can fail at any time. batteries, love to fail.

if #1 that means the power pack is dead...  or the cords to it are not connected fully or the wall AC  power there is dead.

HP Recommended

sorry for your grief.   !!!

black screen

BIOS DEAD ,

flashight trick fails.!

power pack ok, 

fails with big LITHIUM battery unplugged (it's hidden inside Spectre ,)

fails still, with VGA adaptor connected.m (ask HP for the adapter for the odd jack there) see photos. or try HDMI jack.

still dead,?

bad screen( fragial it is ,and would be my guess, at this point in this above process to here)

or mobo.  dead.  (seems that is your case)

posted for others with this thin as potato chips notebook,   (that I'd never buy) hint.

no saying this is the match,  and is hard to find at HP.COM for this exact Spectre.  just an example.

vga-dongul.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.