JL_Fitzpatrick1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

EliteBook 8760w Recovery Media

EliteBook 8760w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Plan to upgrade the primary HDD to a recently ordered SSD and prefer to do a clean install to factory settings then start over so maybe, just maybe, after removing ProtectTools this machine will finally upgrade to Windows 10 from a downloaded MSO Image file. Will the recovery media created from 'Backup & Restore' Utility work for this? HP Website does not list Recovery Discs as being available for this machine (HP Chat session froze before it ever started). Have also read how to copy the Recovery Partition over to the SSD and may perform that as well then backup Win10, provided it upgrades (8 previous attempts and various version of ProtectTools / subsequent Utilities that all failed was enough for me).  While the machine is still working on Windows 7 Pro, the various upgrade attempts have caused stability issues that Windows repair hasn't been able to remedy. Thank you in advance for help with this post.

3 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
96854 13111 20329
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post

Hi:

With the most recent business PC's being the exception (the 8760w is not an exception), the only way you can order recovery media is by telephone.

In the USA/Canada call HP at this number... 1-800-334-5144.

Have the serial number handy to give to the customer services rep.

The recovery media you made most likely will not work unless the SSD you purchased is as large in storage capacity as the mechanical drive you are replacing it with, but you have nothing to lose by trying it.

JL_Fitzpatrick1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post

Thank you Paul, the SSD is the same size @ 500GB but I will give them a Call. I'd prefer to have the recovery discs before I start as this is my primary work PC and need the upgrade to go smoothly. For that reason I plan to leave the current boot drive as-is for a backup and as a reference until everything is up and running, then format it and use it for storage.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
96854 13111 20329
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post

You're very welcome.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation