cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Envy 15 k100 CTO can't do clean install of Win 10. Get loaded about 90% then get "CTOERROR.FLG".

HP Recommended
Envy 15 k100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My hard drive failed. I replaced it with exact like item. I can't do a clean install of Win 10. I get an error code "CTOERROR.FLG". I am using the media I created when the computer was in brand new, factory condition. I also tried downloading the Media Creation Tool and that USB and/or DVD would not boot even when I selected the correct item in the boot list. It will only boot and try to install from my original media. I think this "CTO" designation my model has is the problem. What does that even mean? Do I need to obtain special HP install media? My Product number is GOT55AV and is recognized as a Envy 15 k100 CTO. My serial number search for [removed] says "serial number is unknown". I have verified the serial number on my machine. There is also a model Envy 15 k100 without the CTO designation.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,526 2,501 105 385
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MTDanGriz

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here’s the answer for my computer and I suspect many other “CTO” computers (if not many other types). The latest BIOS F.55 rev A won't work with any recovery media. The previous versions BIOS F.54 rev A does work when you perform the correct steps. First, you must go to F10, enable "legacy" mode, and “select” the correct boot order for your recovery media for both UEFI and Legacy modes. Then on restart, go to F9 and “load" the correct boot order for that media. AND it works! I used a USB “stick" drive to save the Win 10 ISO. I had to set the BIOS as above, plug in the USB drive, and then hit “continue boot” at F9, in that order. Windows 10 loaded after I agreed with license. It did several restarts and then opened to desktop. I wanted to run Win updates and was afraid it might update the BIOS. I later discovered this was not true. To get the right BIOS and drivers for my computer I had to download them from HP site. So, it’s nothing to do with Windows update. However, do not use the latest drivers!!!! If you use the latest Intel chip controller you get an error message saying, "this driver is not compatible with your hardware.” You must download the Aug 15, 2015 chip driver. Do not download unless it says, “Intel chip installation utility and driver" and under details “sp72043.exe”. There is another driver that "thinks it's the latest" with a date of Sep 2015 and it won't work. So, you aren’t really rolling back the driver if you use the Device Manager to roll back the chip driver. That gives you the Sep 2015 driver! I have reloaded all my previous Apps and extensions and it’s been 3 days and everything is running well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here’s the answer for my computer and I suspect many other “CTO” computers (if not many other types). The latest BIOS F.55 rev A won't work with any recovery media. The previous versions BIOS F.54 rev A does work when you perform the correct steps. First, you must go to F10, enable "legacy" mode, and “select” the correct boot order for your recovery media for both UEFI and Legacy modes. Then on restart, go to F9 and “load" the correct boot order for that media. AND it works! I used a USB “stick" drive to save the Win 10 ISO. I had to set the BIOS as above, plug in the USB drive, and then hit “continue boot” at F9, in that order. Windows 10 loaded after I agreed with license. It did several restarts and then opened to desktop. I wanted to run Win updates and was afraid it might update the BIOS. I later discovered this was not true. To get the right BIOS and drivers for my computer I had to download them from HP site. So, it’s nothing to do with Windows update. However, do not use the latest drivers!!!! If you use the latest Intel chip controller you get an error message saying, "this driver is not compatible with your hardware.” You must download the Aug 15, 2015 chip driver. Do not download unless it says, “Intel chip installation utility and driver" and under details “sp72043.exe”. There is another driver that "thinks it's the latest" with a date of Sep 2015 and it won't work. So, you aren’t really rolling back the driver if you use the Device Manager to rollback the chip driver. That gives you the Sep 2015 driver! I have reloaded all my previous Apps and extensions and it’s been 3 days and everything is running well.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation