11-08-2012 10:22 AM
So, I get a Envy 4 with a second SSD, love the machine. I get an upgrade to 8 when it comes out. I think, great, I want to try this, should be great. Well. Not. In a few days, 8 has locked up my Envy, and hosed it. I know this for sure, because My Son and I bought the exact same units. He just got done wiping and reinstalle 7Home Premium and restoring the Laptop. Even though HP diagnostics says the HD Short Test failed. In 8's Troubleshooting it takes me through a nasty loop, can't restore, HDD is locked, Can't refresh, required partion is missing, Blaahhh, Blahhh. Why is this brand new unit not ready for 8, or, why is 8 so stupid, it is not ready for extra partitions, and it looks like one thing that hosed it was me, installing a driver. God Forbid. As you can see, I am pissed. I am going to wipe this, and install 7 Ultimate. Unless someone has a briliant idea?
Ubuntu, here I come!
11-09-2012 10:51 AM
Please review this document on upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8.
You can run the Upgrade assistant software, which will scan your PC and generate a report on what is currently installed on your PC is compatible with W8.
I hope this helps,
- HP PCs - How to Change or Reset Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP PCs - How to Reset Your Computer to Factory Settings (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)