Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-p086sa Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I turn the computer on it comes up with a blue screen saying:

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired, the boot configuration data file is missing some required information.

File: \BCD

Error Code: 0xc0000034

it says I need to use the recovery tools on the installation media. but I don't have any of that.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@chappers9 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are getting a 0xc0000034 error message.

Here are a few things you can try, depending on the error code you receive. See which applies to your system and carry them out: 

1. Run System File Checker to replace the corrupted Windows system files or Drivers 

2. Run DISM tool to repair Windows image

3. Use the Command prompt to rebuild your MBR, using the built-in bootrec tool. 

4. Use EasyBCD or Dual-Boot Repair to repair your BCD file. It also lets you repair MBR. 

5. On UEFI supported systems, you may try the following. Type the following two commands one after the other and hit Enter. 

Diskpart 

List volume 

You now have to select the volume that is labeled ESP. ESP or EFI System Partition is a partition on a hard disk or solid-state drive which adheres to UEFI or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface. In my case, it is Volume 2. 

Select volume 2 

Now we need to assign a letter to it. Let's select ‘z’. 

Assign letter=z 

Now exit diskpart by using the following command. 

Exit 

Next, type the following command and hit Enter: 

bcdboot C:\windows /s z: /f UEFI 

/f when used with the /s command, specifies the firmware type of the target system partition, and the options are – BIOS, UEFI and ALL. We used UEFI to generate boot files for UEFI supported systems. 

Restart your computer and it should resolve the issue, 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I can’t seem to do any of these they don’t work, and the bottom of the screen it says press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings. Once I press this it comes up with the start up menu, which gives me the options to:

F1 - system information 

F2 - system diagnostics 

F9 - Boot Device Options

F10 - BIOS Setup

F11 - system recovery 

Enter - Continue startup

when I try to do system recovery or continue start up it just goes back to the blue screen 

HP Recommended

@chappers9

Thank you for the update.

I would suggest you perform cloud recovery.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.