Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Laptop - 15-eb0053dx

I have an external hard drive that isn't being shown on my HP laptop when I connected it (it seems it is not being recognized) but if I connected to an old laptop or PC that I have at home I can see my external hard drive there.

How can I make the HP Spectre shows my external hard drive?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@cesteinou28 

When you plug the drive into your new laptop, open the search area and enter "create and format" -- and select the option that comes up.  That will be the Drive Management console.

Scroll down through the rows to see if the drive is listed there.  If the BIOS/UEFI sees it, it will be listed -- just not with a drive letter, which is what Windows requires.  Try assigning a drive letter and then, Windows should see it.

If it is not listed in Drive Management, there is nothing you can do.

I have three external drives and there is no reliability about which, if any of them, is going to be seen when I connect it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.