Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello!

I'm a owner of a HP Mini 5101. It has a function to press F11 to return the system into the "out-of-the-box" state. But my problem starts here. When I press F11 I imediately get a screen that says Windows Boot manager on top and and error : 0xc000000e and required device is inaccessible.

This started after I made a "clean" install with the DVD Windows 7 that came with the computer as I tried to avoid all the "crapware" that comes included with the new notebook.

If I boot into Windows, the HP_RECOVERY partition is visible and the HP recovery image is on it.

Is there anyway to get the F11 recovery back to working state? I have some BCD editing knowledge in that would help in any way with my problem.....

Thank you very much!

U

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for getting back to me so fast.

I have to apologize as I did not explain my problem in the right way. Technically I am able to boot the partition, but the problem occurs when the partition needs to boot into WinRE or WinPE I guess so that the recovery can start. The loading process gets stuck immediately at the beginning even before anything "Windows related stuff" starts loading. So about five seconds after I turn on the computer and boot into the recovery partition, or pressing F11 the error that I'm describing shows up.

Update:

I managed to fix my problem. After setting the recovery partition to active, and booting from the installation USB with windows 7, I managed to fix the mbr that was corrupted and the partition didn't know what to boot. So after fixing it, i had no problem running the recovery.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended

1.Right-click on "Computer" icon and select manage.
2.This will launch the Microsoft Management Console.
3.On the left side of the MMC, click on "Disk Management" and it will show you all of the partitions.
4.Right-click on the "HP Recovery" partition and select "Mark as Active Partition."
5.When the warning prompt appears, select "Yes" - Reboot the notebook and it will automatically boot into the Recovery Manager (without having to press F11).

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for getting back to me so fast.

I have to apologize as I did not explain my problem in the right way. Technically I am able to boot the partition, but the problem occurs when the partition needs to boot into WinRE or WinPE I guess so that the recovery can start. The loading process gets stuck immediately at the beginning even before anything "Windows related stuff" starts loading. So about five seconds after I turn on the computer and boot into the recovery partition, or pressing F11 the error that I'm describing shows up.

Update:

I managed to fix my problem. After setting the recovery partition to active, and booting from the installation USB with windows 7, I managed to fix the mbr that was corrupted and the partition didn't know what to boot. So after fixing it, i had no problem running the recovery.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi! I am having the exact same problem. How did you manage to fix the MBR?  I can set D drive as active, reboot into the Recovery Partition but it does not start the recover!!  I just get a C: prompt. But it really has the directories from the former D drive... They are hidden if I do a "dir" all i see is a command.com file and a recovery directory. BUT  if I type cd \system32 it will change to that directory. I tried mbrinst.exe from the mbr.ini file on D drive but no joy... any ideas???? I would be most appreciative if you can remember how you solved it!

- Donna 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi, I have clean install win7 on my compaq persario cq61, my recovery partition is intact, but it didnt work either with F11 or F8 key. I want to restore my machine back to factory default pls help.

HP Recommended

Having spent hours on this problem with a new Probook 4515, where the F11 at boot did nothing - and the HP Recovery Manager couldn't be found  (i.e. wasn't installed!!) - I finally spoke to Tech Support in Bangalore, who told me that F11 doesn't work on WIN7 OS and neither does the HP Recovery Manager. He apologised and said they knew there was a bug.......

Aaaaaargh!

This was after their email Support had replied, referring me to http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01895783

Bangalore kindly agreed to pass the information up the line-  that they are sending out and publishing out-of-date and misleading information - but 8 hrs later, the wrong stuff is still up...

After I'd offered to return the 8-week old Laptop as "Not fit for purpose or of merchantable quality' he did offer to send me, expedited, a Windows 7 PRO Install disk... Let's hope that comes.

MikeL28
HP Recommended

I completed the steps outlined making but now when start my laptop, it loads to 'System Recovery' window. How do I uncheck the 'HP recovery Partition' as the 'Active Partition'?

HP Recommended

@andrewknox

Try booting with a utilty cd which has this function,such as Partition Wizard. Download the Bootable CD iso here .Get ImgBurn here to burn the image to cd.Boot from the cd to manipulate partitions.

Btw, anyone Not wanting  to do a fresh install should Not set recovery partition as Active .Once set as Active it is the boot drive and will require the System Recovery be done to reset C: as active.Or use a boot utilty cd to undo.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I found a working workaround for this problem, and posted the solution here!

HP Recommended

thank you thank you thank you,

you saved my laptop, thought it was toast lol

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.