Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion g4-1125DX with Windows 7. A few days ago while I was downloading some files it hung. I could move the cursor but couldn't close the browser window nor could I shut it down. I push the power button down for a few seconds for a hard shutdown, when I tried to power the system back up it would not boot Windows. It gave me several options to back up and tried to perform a Windows Recovery, that didnt work, tried to boot it into safe mode and still got the same error, I gave up trying to save my files as I have most of them backed up anyway so I tried to perform a full system recovery to factory settings. It went through the entire recovery process and said that it was successful. When I tried to reboot after the recovery, it hung on the boot up again. It didn't try to get me to the same recovery menu. It just hung. I tried another hard shutdown and reboot to get to the HP Advanced System Diagnostics and tried the Start-Up Test and it FAILED. 

It provided me with the FAILURE ID:  M4H27W-5NR5SC-MFPV5G-60UQ03.  I don't know what to do with that information. I need help. I just want to get this thing back up and running. 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi LBG,

A 303 error is a failure of the short disk self test and would definetely suggest the Hard Drive is failing.

As your notebook is still under warranty, just contact HP using the relevant link below and arrange for the drive to be replaced.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi,

Is the notebook still under warranty?

Run tests on the Hard Drive and Memory from the f10 Bios Menu as this will usually give a more understandable error code - the procedure is detailed below.

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi i have problem with my HP too.

i have tried to start my laptop but it freeze on black screen before the welcome screen
so i force shutdown (press the power button) to log in to the safe mode but it freeze too on
system32/drive/classpnp.exe

then press the power button again to recover the system, the recovery dvd load files but then it just freeze again

so i log to the BIOS and make memory test and hard test
the memory test passed but the hard test keep freezing on 4%

i need your help

HP Recommended

P.S. the laptop system is vista but i have problem with it about a month (i take it to a maintenence) they change it to window 7, before 8 days i realize that the windows version is not orignal and i was planning to chang it. 

HP Recommended

@mi_mi,

It sounds like your Hard Drive has failed and will need to be replaced.

let me know the following.

1.  Is your notebook still under warranty?

2.  The full Model No. and Part No. of the notebook ( from the service tag underneath your notebook ) - see Here for further details.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks. It should be under warranty still. I bought it in less than 4 months ago. 

I got in to the BIOS and ran the Primary Hard Disk Self Test. The system starts the test but never really gets anywhere, after a couple of minutes a window pops up that says "Hard Disk 1 Quick (303)".  The system passes the Memory Test. I have a feeling there is something wrong with the physical media of the HDD itself. Maybe a bad sector?  

Thanks again for your help,

LBG

@DavidPK wrote:

Hi,

Is the notebook still under warranty?

Run tests on the Hard Drive and Memory from the f10 Bios Menu as this will usually give a more understandable error code - the procedure is detailed below.

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Regards,

DP-K

HP Recommended

Hi LBG,

A 303 error is a failure of the short disk self test and would definetely suggest the Hard Drive is failing.

As your notebook is still under warranty, just contact HP using the relevant link below and arrange for the drive to be replaced.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you. Contacted support and support is sending me a HDD and a recovery disk. I wanted to fix the problem without having to open up the machine but I suppose this is better than sending the machine back and forth. I appreciate your help.

@DavidPK wrote:

Hi LBG,

Regards,

DP-K

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

From what I gather, HP are usually pretty quick in sending the replacement and the actual procedure to swap the drives doesn't take long. 

If you want to familiarize yourself with this process, it's detailed starting on Page 51 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi All

I have an HP Pavilion g6 g series laptop 

it fails to boot up when I do the Start-Up Test it comes up with this message:

Memory test :Passed

SMART check :Passed

Short DST: FAILED

Failure ID: RGD968-5MN68S-XD015G-60V003

Product ID: LW079EA#ACQ

Hard Disk 1

Please help me out what to do.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.