Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (250 Views)

Failed to upgrade to windows 10 Creator

[ Edited ]

I am having the same problem with the exact PC, however I thought Microsoft would eventually send me the proper update and have now given up.  The update reminder now comes from my wake up screen, telling me I need the latest security update.  I click, it brings me to a Microsoft page through Edge that asks me to download the update assistant.  I went through all of those steps.  Still froze at 32%.  2 weeks later the message pops back up so I've been trying regularly. Yesterday, after ignoring the message for a week, Windows decided to do it completely on its own, freezing again at 32%

I am currently running an update for the Intel graphics card from Intel, but I do not see any updates for the processor.  I also had a Radeon update at the same time, so I'm allowing both, and going to try again, this time through Ethernet (the one suggestion in an early reply I had yet to try)  The entire process takes about 3 hours. I am worried about doing a clean install for fear of completely crippling the computer.  I'd rather let it limp along with the minor updates that occasionally do trickle through.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 4 (192 Views)

Re: Failed to upgrade to windows 10 Creator

Hi @Nihane,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are having issues installing the creator update on your computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you download and install Microsoft update troubleshooter from the below link and it will automatically fix the update issue.

http://hp.care/2wloFTX

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (123 Views)

I had already tried this by the time I got this response, I'm sorry I tend to be too impatient for my own good.  Update repair found several things to fix, and I also purged the update cache... still to no avail.  I ended up swapping out hardrives and did a clean install of Windows to test the hardware configuration.  It seemed to work (although I still had a few unknown items in device manager)   We put my old HD back in and wiped it and began the installation process.  Everything seemed good until the Radeon 7800m update froze the crap out of the computer again and somehow rolled back windows to pre-anniversary mode.  Windows update then froze at 2% for more than 3 hours.  I purged the update cache and ran ANOTHER update repair and now somehow I'm GOOD.  This is such a wonderful laptop, I really hope it doesn't become obsolete.

So a combination of COMPLETELY wiping windows, repairing Update (from a fresh install?) & purging the cache, its up and runnng flawlessly!

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 4 (80 Views)

Hi @Nihane,

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation