Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I'm hoping someone will be able to help.

For the last few months, my notebook fan has been cycling on for 5 seconds then off for 1. It's not constantly. It used to go for at least a few days with no noise at all but has now become more frequent at at least every other day and it's starting to drive me potty!

I did think I solved it as whenever I did a 'Performance Tune-Up Check' and included System files and Clean web browser history cookies and cache that would work for days at a time. That though became every day and now it doesn't solve the problem at all. I then tried air on the fan to clean it which worked for a day. I've also updated the BIOS that fix lasted a bit longer but soon stopped. Then I tried changing the battery settings again it seemed to work but not long term. I've also ran some System tests that it passed. I've no idea what is causing it beginning to wonder if the 'fixes' were just coincidental.

The fan is off at the moment (after cycling for the last 2 hours). I know it's going to start again soon so thought I'd ask while I can at least think straight.

I'm not very clued up when it comes to technology, so if there is a way to resolve it it would need to be step by step.

Hope someone can help.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi, does the lack of replies mean I need to try and get it to a shop to be fixed?

HP Recommended

@RedQueenie

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the system fan.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you perform a system restore back to the date when the fan was working fine.

Refer to the below article for step by step instructions.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi thank you for getting back. I've had a look at my restore dates and they don't go back far enough. I selected to choose another date and there are only 2 and both are in this month. I'm guessing the problem began back in May/June. Like I said it's was very intermittent at the start. Have you any other ideas?

HP Recommended

@RedQueenie

I recommend you perform a system reset following the steps in the below article and test.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I did the reset and I thought it had worked I had 1 day of silence and now it has started again. It seems to run a bit more continuously now which is somewhat more bearable but soon changes to 5 seconds on 1 off, which is driving me potty. Is there anything else I could try or do I need to get it looked at?

HP Recommended

@RedQueenie

I recommend you contact support and they will assist you with the available service options for your computer.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, it appears my laptop is out of warranty. The link you sent advises me to 'ask the community'. I'm assuming I now need to look for outside help unless anyone can think of something else I might try?

HP Recommended

@RedQueenie

Help me with your region (Country) in a private message and I will share the contact details.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.