Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've only recently bought my HP Spectre X360 and use the HP Support Assistant to download the latest updates. As recommended I installed the latest bios of F.32 and since then my fan has gone from being slightly noisy to almost non-existent. 

While I appreciate too much noise is annoying I'm now worried something has gone wrong and it could be overheating or the bios has just stopped the fans completely. 

I had HP Command Center, but even after changing the thermal profile to Comfort Mode it does not change the fans. Before the update I could select Comfort Mode and the fans would kick in almost instantly. 

I'm really annoyed as I feel I've done exactly what HP wants me to do and now I've got a practically brand new laptop which has been made worse by the update, not better. 

Can someone please help with this?  

If there's an easy way to roll back the Bios to what I had before - I think that was F.27? - I would appreciate it. The laptop cost a lot of money and I do not think it should be doing this only a few weeks after purchasing it. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Kingmob31

Is your Notebook Overheating? If it is not overheating, there is nothing to worry because the BIOS control the Fan and it will start only when needed

But if you feel the latest BIOS update has caused issues on your Notebook, you could try a BIOS Recovery and check if that helps

1. Turn off the computer, and then connect the power cord.

2. Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds.

Keyboard highlighting the key presses for BIOS recovery

3. Release the Power button but continue pressing the Windows and B keys. You might hear a series of beeps.

• If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps but press the Windows key and the V key. If the screen still does not display, your computer might not support the feature

You can also refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02693833

Keep me posted how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. 

The fan has been quiet, but literally just now the underside got v. hot and the fan came on. I have a bunch of Chrome tabs open, but not running anything that would push the laptop. Surely the power cable being plugged in wouldn't cause a laptop like this to overheat?

What is strange is I immediately tried HP Command Center and switched to the Comfort setting and it took around 3-4mins for it to kick in. I then switched it back to HP Recommended and the fan dropped almost immediately. 

I'm really disappointed that HP isn't responding about this issue as I really can't see it being anything other than this BIOS update. How else can you explain the change in fan noise and the fact the HP Command Center went from being instantly responsive to there being this delay?

I really do not want to go through the effort of getting a replacement or returning it, but the laptop cost far too much for to experience issues this early. I had my ASUS for 5 years and apart from it getting slower I never had a problem with it. This HP is supposed to be much higher spec and yet it seems to already be suffering as a result of HP advising me to update something. 

I'm really not impressed. 

HP Recommended

@Kingmob31

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for asking someone to contact me, but I have only just seen the PMs and they have now informed me they have closed the case? After just a few days? 

Right now the laptop gets hot when the power is plugged in which it did not when I first got the laptop and before the BIOS was updated. The fan is much quieter, this is true, but I have no idea if things are as they should be based on how the laptop was when I first got it. 

If someone can just confirm that this is as expected then perhaps there isn't a problem. 

HP Recommended

Hi, i got the same exact problem after F32 bios update (which has been rolled within Windows Update). I quickly realized the BIOS was updated the previous evening after some investigation, started after i felt the smell of burning along with chassis being hot with both fans turned off.

My Notebook: HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df0xxx

I NEVER asked for a BIOS update, but i ended up with this unfortunate version. Now, i work with this notebook and use Visual Studio about 8-9 hours/day while plugged in. After the update, the CPU keep in the 90+ degrees almost half the time and never go down under 80° due to many programs working all the time with low to medium workload. The CPU will go in the 90+ range, stay there about 3-4 minutes, then fan kick in for about 30 seconds and lower CPU to 80°, then it raise again within a minute and stay there for 3-4 minutes again. This cycle keeps for all day.

With this bios, the fans stay almost all the time turned off, CPU will range in 80+ degrees and internal notebook average temperature is stated as 65°C (not good for battery lifespan too i suppose) with 20°C ambient temperature. What drive me crazy is the fans, who cannot be forced to run and even at minimum would make a big difference.

This F32 release is aimed to all the people who use the notebook for browsing internet and little more, but ruined the experience for the few who work with it.

What i tried:

-Different profiles in HP Command Center: useless. It does not seem to have a difference to me.

-BIOS rollback: locked by HP. WHY? WHY IS THE MOST SIMPLE SOLUTION LOCKED OUT?

-Throttlestop in performance mode, no help.

-Speed Fan and NBFC for manual fan control: both not working.

I also noted that setting fan "Always ON" in bios is not working: stay off as usual.

So i contacted HP Support: a complete waste of time.

They cannot communicate with bios development team, they cannot test internally the problem, they stated BIOS rollback is of no use because latest bios has to work better and they stated that 98°C CPU temperature is in designed range.

While i agree that 90+°C spikes are acceptable, it is not when it stay in this state for half the time, 8-9 hours a day. I also completely disagree with BIOS rollback limitation: ANYONE can mistake and a rollback with official BIOS is the first solution.

As a programmer, the generation of a rollback package is my first priority before EVERY update.

I had a working notebook with previous bios F22. CPU was much cooler, chassis was in 40-45°C range and fans worked as expected. After BIOS update to F32, this is hot as hell, throttle down continuosly and fans stay off almost all the time. This is not what i bought, this is not what i want and is no more a notebook where i can work. I'm also worried about lifespan of battery and CPU, if not all the other components.

I bought a top performer notebook for work and i ended up with a throttled down grill, all with just one ninja bios update.

HP SUPPORT, there are many solution:

1- ALLOW BIOS ROLLBACK. Rollback should always be an option, ALWAYS.

2- ALLOW manual fan control, this will keep everyone happy.

3- Make HP Command Center profiles to accomodate both use scenarios.

4- Address it in a BIOS hotfix.

So while i work with CPU throttled down to minimum in the hope of preserving the lifespan of the unit, PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE PROBLEM AND SOLVE IT.

HP Recommended

I wish I had never installed the BIOS. I had no idea something seemingly innocent as HP Support Assistant would result in a 1k+ laptop overheating whenever I use it. I'm not impressed at all. And still nothing from support. 

HP Recommended

This is not your fault. As i said in the previous post, i got it within windows update, so there is a chance u'd get it anyway soon or later. The real problem is not even the BIOS itself: anyone can mistake. The real problem is how HP locked bios rollback, how they locked end users to manage their fans, how useless is HP Command center in managing profiles (i see no difference changing profiles) and, last but not least, how HP Support is a complete waste of time.

Always had DELL or ASUS, first HP i bought....and last.

Anyway, can u test if the "Fan always on" option in BIOS is working for you? I asked HP Support to check but, of course, they can't.

If the fans do not work anymore neither for you, then it's definitely a BIOS bug and confirm that our notebook have no real malfunction; only a bad bios.

@KrazyToad: Have u got any response? Have HP team acknowledged the problem? Is there anyone who can test a product sold by them? I ask because Hp Support cannot and you are my last hope. Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.