Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 8 (243 Views)

Fatal Hard Disk Error - Recovering Bioexcess files from external storage

Product Name: HP Pavillion dm4 notebook pc
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My hard drive failed (Short DST: Failed; followed by a 24-digit code).  I have backed up files on various external drives, but many were saved as Bioexcess ones; i.e., they were encrypted/protected using the fingerprint reader on the laptop.  (How) can I restore them when the laptop with the fingerprint device is inoperable?  Thanks

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 8 (221 Views)

Re: Fatal Hard Disk Error - Recovering Bioexcess files from external storage

Hi @gregf22,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues related to computer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

How did you backup your data? Usually the program which you use for backup, you are suppose to use the same program to restore it

Regarding the restoring of file, I would suggest you contact your local tech for assistance.

Did you get any failure Code? When running a test on the computer

For now please perform a hard reset from this link if it is a notebook: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

Next thing, I would suggest here is to run an extensive test on the hard drive from F2 (Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Depending on the test results, I would suggest here is to contact our HP phone support for available service related options. 

The error message" boot device not found 3F0" clearly indicates that the hard drive is not getting detected. If the computer can be opened, try to reseat the hard drive. If it is a notebook with a sealed battery, please do not attempt it as it could void the warranty. If nothing works, please contact HP phone support to get the situation corrected.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you

Hope this helps. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.  Please reach out for any issues and I'll always be there to assist you always. 

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 3 of 8 (191 Views)

I cannot Use the link because the hard drive is and feel your status. I have recovery disks that will load however I need to preserve as many data files as possible. should I use system recovery or minimized image recovery as the recovery option? Thank you
Top Student
Message 4 of 8 (190 Views)

Sorry... hard drive is in FAILURE status. Code
QC02X9-5JG8T2-XD6U3A-6003. Product ID XZ298UA#ABA
HP Support Agent
Message 5 of 8 (173 Views)

Hi @gregf22,

You've performed the hardware test and it resulted with the failure ID –QC02X9-5JG8T2-XD6U3A-6003

Unfortunately, this is in correct, as its suppose to be 24 alpha numeric code. 

Not a problem, If you have a made note of it, please keep it safe so that once you contact our HP phone support, they would go ahead and validate the failure ID and based on the results.

They would go and ahead setup a service for your computer.

Please use the link from the previous post to get the tech support number.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than glad to help you.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts,

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 6 of 8 (147 Views)

QC02X9-5JG8T2-XD6U3A-60XM03

Top Student
Message 7 of 8 (144 Views)

I need help getting to F8 - safe start-up to attempt to access files that have not been backed up.  F2, F10 & F11 work, but I can't get to F8.  Thank you

HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 8 (132 Views)

Hi @gregf22 ,

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back ;)

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh , but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Barachiel & I'm at your service.

If that's the case, I'd request you to contact HP's phone support team for further assistance.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/ Enter Product number or select to auto detect.Scroll down to "Still need help?

Complete the form to select your contact options". Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Best regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation