10-31-2016 01:29 AM
I gave my notebook to a friend of mine a year ago and they set a bios password that they can't remember.I called HP Kenya and they told me to contact their agent whom advised me to buy a new motherboard.Is there something that can be done other than disposing what I have? I only need to enable the virtualisation in the bios and have to access it first.
10-31-2016 01:41 AM
Welcome to HP Support Forum and we are glad to assist you.
This is to inform you that all HP Business Notebooks such as Probooks or Elitebooks have more stringent security than consumer models infact they don't produce 'halt codes', the password cannot be derived from the Serial Number and the
code is stored in non-volatile memory so removing the RTC cell will not reset the password in this case.
- Please have a look at this link.
- Replace the BIOS chip
- Please Contact HP Business Notebook support they should be able to send you a customized SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.
Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again
**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
I am not an HP Employee
- HP PCs - How to Change or Reset Password (Windows 10)
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP PCs - How to Reset Your Computer to Factory Settings (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8)