Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 11 (340 Views)

Forgot my BIOS Password

Product Name: HP 4540s
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.

I forgot my BIOS password. what should I do?

I tried any password. But...

Help me please.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Dean
Message 2 of 11 (299 Views)

Re: Forgot my BIOS Password

Hello @Mehdia59

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

If you do not know the existing password for BIOS or you have forgotten in, here are your options:

- Consumer class notebooks :  try to enter the BIOS and enter the password wrong 3 times. System disabled message will appear with a code.

Please, write down this system disabled code and visit www.bios-pw.org

Enter the code and you will receive a response code.  Please, use the response code for HP to clear the system disabled BIOS and enter the BIOS and then modify passwords as per your choice.

- Business class notebooks : most business class notebooks (including yours Probook) have better security and the method described above will not work as far as I know. You will have to contact HP Support for assistance on removing the password. Here is how >> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Please, provide back your feedback and do not hesitate to post back if you need further assistance.

Your feedback is important
* You can say Thanks and give me LIKE with the Thumb Up+ button (+1)
* Please, use the button to accept this post as a solution if my comment helped

IT_WinSec : I am not employed by HP Inc. I am a volunteer and I express personal opinion only. I work in IT and cyber security
Top Student
Message 3 of 11 (290 Views)

Hi.

Thanks about your attention.

But I'm from Iran. I didn't see my country in your list.

What should I do??

Top Student
Message 4 of 11 (285 Views)

Hi.

Excuse me.

I didn't see any code. I post start and code screen captures. See it please.

02.jpg

Dean
Message 5 of 11 (281 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

You are welcome !

Your picture is currently blocked (temporary) and needs admin/mod approval to be visible for me.

Perhaps you do not see Iran listed there as there is no office of HP in Iran. 

You can try to call in office in another country like Saudi Arabia >> http://www8.hp.com/sa/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html

IT_WinSec : I am not employed by HP Inc. I am a volunteer and I express personal opinion only. I work in IT and cyber security
Dean
Message 6 of 11 (275 Views)

Hi,

I reviewed your picture as it is now approved.

I will check something and reply back later. In the meantime you can try to call the HP support.

Top Student
Message 7 of 11 (270 Views)

Hi.

Thanks for your attention.

I'm waiting.

Please solve my problem online. It's too hard calling another country and explaining problem.

Dean
Message 8 of 11 (252 Views)

[ Edited ]

You are welcome!

I've been researching your problem and did some testing, and here is what I found.

Please, note that the below is not official HP info and is preliminary yet.

(t1)

Based on your picture, you have 3 users when attempting to enter the password -

obviously first one is BIOS administrator

seconds look like your Windows acconts

For the business models, In addition to the admin password, there could also be other users - ones that are enterted manually from within BIOS setup and give security permissions (they can also be admins) OR Windows ones that come from HP Protect Tools (HP Client Security Manager) program. Based on the screenshot provided, these should be ones that come from HP Protect Tools/Client Security Manager.

For testing purpose, on HP Probook I entered BIOS admin password and locked it, and installed HP Client Security Manager. Enrolled into it with Windows accounts and also HP SpareKeys (used when Windows password is forgotten). Rebooted system and attempted to enter BIOS.

Got the same results as the ones you have - Login options are BIOS administrator + locally present Windows acccounts.
I was able to login with Windows account password but was not admin (for obvious reasons).  

First suggestions >> You may try to login with the Windows passwords if you know them.

(t2) 

I was researching HP BIOS Configuration Utility

> http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HP_BCU.html
> http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/whitepapers/HP_BCU_FAQ.pdf

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/How-to-clear-BIOS-admin-password-HP-Elite-2530p/td-p...

>> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Forgotten-BIOS-password-on-Elite...

Based on the information, one can reset HP BIOS password with it and set new password if they can login to Windows.

As per the document, this will also not work on your case as you may need to use some old version 2. The latest version present v4 requires encrypted password file present in order to reset the BIOS. The old version still requires BIOS admin password to perform the changes. Conclusion is that these "attacks" from inside Windows also do not work.

If you can boot into Windows, you can try them but they did not work in my case.

Permanent solution will be to contact HP support (I am afraid) and I guess they will be able to provide you with a file to reset the password.  I do understand your concerns it may be harder to call another country but I do not work at/in HP and I can't provide you this file. I am not sure what the local HP support options and policies are for your region but you can try - in Saudi Arabia they provide support in English and Arabian languages.

If you have contacted them but still did not receive anything, please , let me know.

Top Student
Message 9 of 11 (239 Views)

WOW. Thank you dear friend.

I'll check and feedback.

Thanks again

Top Student
Message 10 of 11 (209 Views)

Hi.

Thanks again about your attention.

I tried your suggestions and read given links.

But no result...

I want to contact turkey HP center. But can't find It's page.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation