Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-ac103ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I accidentally formatted my recovery partition drive D in error. I had made a USB recovery when I bought the laptop but when I go to HP Recovery Manager it says partition has been removed under Create Recovery Media. Can anyone tell me if this is reversible and what type of side effects I may get for doing this?

Thanks all!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

It is not reversible, but since you made the recovery drive, that would allow you to factory reset the PC, but I don't know if it would restore the recovery partition.  It might, and it might not.

You can also always reinstall W10 for free by creating a bootable USB installation flash drive using the Media Creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After W10 installs, you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-15-Notebook-PC-series/8499326/model/9054486

Side effects, none, other than you won't be able to reset the PC using the recovery manager.

You may want to consider extending\merging your C:\partition into the formatted D:\ partition and have a larger C:\ drive.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

It is not reversible, but since you made the recovery drive, that would allow you to factory reset the PC, but I don't know if it would restore the recovery partition.  It might, and it might not.

You can also always reinstall W10 for free by creating a bootable USB installation flash drive using the Media Creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After W10 installs, you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-15-Notebook-PC-series/8499326/model/9054486

Side effects, none, other than you won't be able to reset the PC using the recovery manager.

You may want to consider extending\merging your C:\partition into the formatted D:\ partition and have a larger C:\ drive.

HP Recommended

Paul I assume either of the windows install methods would clean the hard drive then?

Also is reinstalling windows different than me using my recovery USB? Sorry I'm not very techy

HP Recommended

Your USB recovery drive would erase the drive and reinstall the OS and software that originally came with the PC.

The method I described would be a plain vanilla install of W10 and you would be limited to the available software on your notebook's support page.

With the media creation tool, you would have to select the option to format the drive.

What I like about the second method, is that if you need to recover files (assuming the drive didn't die), you can let W10 install over the current installation, and it will create a Windows.old folder.

Then after W10 installs, you can explore the Windows.old folder and copy and files and folders from the old installation to the new one, or you can copy them to a portable hard drive and then run the USB recovery drive you originally made to factory reset the notebook.

HP Recommended

Understand what you're saying now. I just tried using some recovery software and it was able to bring the files back in a folder, but the problem is I don't know what to do with them all to recreate D as it used to be. 

So in essence I have no operational issues, I was just trying to correct my mistake.  If in the future I have a problem I can use my USB recovery stick to get windows to load, correct?

Appreciate your help,

Jay

HP Recommended

Hi, Jay:

Yes, that is correct.  You can factory reset the PC using the USB recovery stick you made when you first got the PC.

HP Recommended

Excellent, thanks again!

One last question if I may...

Earlier I was reading it's a good idea to make a new copy of the recovery USB monthly. I didn't realize this and have never done so. Can I still do it now or no? 

HP Recommended

You can't update the factory recovery USB.

All that basically is, is the recovery partition made bootable on a USB flash drive.

If you are happy with the way the PC is configured now, get a portable hard drive and periodically create a system image using the free Macrium Reflect software.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree?x-ca=blog

The software will also have you create a bootable USB or DVD utility that you boot from to access the system image stored on your portable hard drive.

So, rather than having to factory reset your PC and start from square one, you can go to the latest image you saved and restore the PC to a more current situation.

HP Recommended

Excellent, and thanks again Paul.  Very helpful responses 👍

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.