Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
dv6 3210us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Employing an alternative W7 OS installation, Quite some time ago, I ditched the factory supplied OS and all its bloatware.
I recently decided to give someone the laptop. There's nothing wrong with the hardware. When I run the factory supplied discs, at the end it says the recovery failed. I don't know why. This laptop has never been dropped or abused. I tested the HDD. There's nothing wrong with it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Cheryl,

I did further research regarding the media failure issue.
I discovered my factory supplied media is designed to fail after a certain date.
I found the solution right here on the HP Support website. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04433980
Although it may not have been necessary; In the BIOS, I made sure the laptop is set to default settings.
I set the clock to near the date I purchased the computer. In my case 05-31-2011.
Thereafter the installation was trouble free.
After determining the installation was working properly, I set the correct time and date.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, problems like that happen with Recovery Discs more often than it should. Windows 7 recovery discs in particular and Windows 8 have both failed a lot. Can you not install the same Windows 7 version you have been using? The license key on bottom still legible?

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I can. I did. Of course, that doesn't get to the root of the problem. I've been schooled in computer service / repair. except in the case of file corruption when downloading ISO's to burn discs, I've never experienced media failure. My HP recovery discs are in flawless condition. I believe the cause of the problem lies elsewhere. The HDD was wiped and tested as being error free. I know there was a "recovery partition" as delivered. Perhaps the recovery media is looking for the original formatting ?

HP Recommended

Cheryl,

I did further research regarding the media failure issue.
I discovered my factory supplied media is designed to fail after a certain date.
I found the solution right here on the HP Support website. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04433980
Although it may not have been necessary; In the BIOS, I made sure the laptop is set to default settings.
I set the clock to near the date I purchased the computer. In my case 05-31-2011.
Thereafter the installation was trouble free.
After determining the installation was working properly, I set the correct time and date.

HP Recommended

Not sure I understand "my factory supplied media is designed to fail after a certain date". 

Interesting that the BIOS date change worked for you. That article was published during the Windows 8 recovery disaster I believe and the list of models it applies to at the bottom doesn't include your DV6. No matter, all is well that ends well. Happy you are back up and running.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Cheryl,
Per the linked HP Support thread, in my case; The factory supplied recovery disks won't work after 06/23/2014.
Which is why I had to set the time/date on my laptop to a time/date earlier than 06/23/2014. If this "expiration date" had not been coded to the recovery media, there would have been no need to change the date/time in the BIOS. My alternative Windows media doesn't do this. Click on the link I previously included and see for yourself.
06/23/2014 is referenced in the linked support thread. 

"Temporarily fix the problem by changing the date in the BIOS"

"Before performing a recovery, change the date in the computers BIOS to a date earlier than 06/23/2014".

P.S.
It should not be assumed the list of affected models referenced in the link is complete.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.