Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

General Guide to Windows 7 Upgrade for HP and Compaq Consumer Notebooks

The first release of Microsoft Vista has been a known buggy Operating System. Many unsatisfied HP/Compaq owners have to downgrade their notebooks back to XP.  
On the other hand, since the release of Windows 7, starting from Beta, RC, and the final release, owners of notebooks that shipped with Vista are rushing to upgrade their OS to Windows 7.

In many cases, as posted in HP consumer forum, HP/Compaq owners found their notebook was not officially supported to Windows 7 or incomplete list of windows 7 drivers are found in their support page model.

This guide is a general guide for Windows 7 Upgrade for all HP/Compaq consumers notebook, with NO affiliation what so ever with HP. It is intended to help HP notebook owners. The resources are collected from HP forum.
The guide will be divided into 4 levels with respect to hardware performance and compatibility, please check you own model before downloading the drivers.

Things you should know

1. HP does NOT support Windows 7 for notebook under Level 2, 3 categories, so if you have any difficulties regarding Windows 7, do not expect officially HP will help you.
  2. HP may require you to install back VISTA if you have hardware problem to troubleshoot it.
  3. Always make Vista Recovery CD/DVD before upgrading to Windows 7, see it here
  4. You have a folder with drivers & programs that may prove very helpful, copy folder C:\Swsetup to DVD Before formatting your hdd.

Models Level 1

For NEW notebook consumer models i.e. Presario, Pavilion, and HP models are trouble-free to upgrade.

If you purchased the notebook not within free upgrade period, buy genuine Retail Windows 7 full or upgrade version.

Models Level 1 are:

1. Presario models (CQ20, CQ35, CQ40, CQ45, CQ50, CQ60/CQ61 and CQ70/71),
  2. Pavilion models (dv2, dv3, dv3500, dv4, dv5, dv6, dv7, dv8)  
  3. HP models (G60/61/62, G70/71, HDX16, HDX 18, TouchSmart tx2)

Most of support pages have Windows 7 drives, enter your model number here and navigate to Windows 7 (32 bit) or Windows 7 (64bit).

Authored by CherylG and Rakhmad Siregar

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

186 REPLIES 186
HP Recommended
Models Level 2

Models in level 2 are not listed in table of HP notebook series supported with Windows 7 however as stated it does not mean Windows 7 will not run perfectly, in our words, don’t expect HP officially help you.

Things you should know

1. HP does NOT support Windows 7 for notebook under Level 2, 3 categories, so if you have any difficulties regarding Windows 7, do not expect officially HP will help you.
  2. HP may require you to install back VISTA if you have hardware problem to troubleshoot it.
  4. You have a folder with drivers & programs that may prove very helpful, copy folder C:\Swsetup to DVD Before formatting your hdd.

Models Level 2 are:

1. Presario models (Vx5xx & ABOVE, and B1200 & C700 series) i.e. V3730AU or V6603TU
  2. Pavilion models (dvx5xx & ABOVE) i.e. dv2922TX or dv6501EO or dv9720US

Default drivers in Windows 7 will install most all drivers for models in Level 2 except some HP custom drivers i.e., Quick Launch Software, Card reader, Fingerprint, etc. In general 80% of drivers can be automatically detected by Windows 7 installer.

Notes:

1. After installation of Windows 7, device manager shows missing drivers for coprocessor, unknown device and base system devices, for these issues install drivers as follows,

> Coprocessor is chipset driver mostly Nvidia chipset,

> Base system devices mostly Ricoh card reader,
                  > Unknown device mostly HP Quick Launch Software

2. It is reported that for notebooks with AMD processor, an overheat problem occurred, run Windows Update manually from Control Panel immediately, it will solve this issue. Choose also the Optional Updates.
3. Notebooks with Nvidia GPU are highly recommend to check GPU temperature before doing Windows 7 upgrade since most  2 year old notebooks suffer dust that prevent proper cooling process by internal fan.
4. QuickPlay software must be installed before Quick Launch Software.
5. Install HP Wireless Assistant to activate Bluetooth.

6. If you found Vista driver failed to be installed in Windows 7, try vista compatibility mode,
7. If you need to restore VISTA back, and unfortunately have broken/lost Vista recovery CD/DVD but still have HP recovery partition untouched, don’t worry just install sp45823, restart, F11 will function again to launch system recovery.  

For the best performance of Windows 7, one needs to install proper drivers starting from chipset, video graphic, network, card reader and so forth. Run Windows Update to find drivers first, if you can find it, and use vista drivers in your support page here

or

Download the following drivers use it at your own risk.

Chipset Driver (32-bit and 64-bit)

Model with Intel Processor

Intel chipset, infinst911autol

Model with AMD Processor (Ethernet LAN is included)

Nvidia chipset, sp37730 (Vista)

Video graphics Driver

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver

win7_1512754 (32-bit) and win7_64_1512754 (64-bit)

Nvidia 8400M GS and 8600M GS

195.62 _32bit and 195.62 _64bit

197.16   32bit and 197.16   64bit

260.99 32bit and 260.99 64bit

As alternative, try modded INF from www.laptopvideo2go.com site

For GeForce Release 195.81, here 32bit and here 64bit

For GeForce Release 197.16, here 32bit and here 64bit

Run installer first, if it fail try 3-step process to install:

1. Download driver, double click and select extract,

2. Download modded INF and replace original INF in extracted folder,

3. Install & reboot.

Ricoh Card Reader Driver (32-bit and 64-bit), sp37614

HP Quick Launch Button software (32-bit and 64-bit), sp46731

The following drivers are linked to HP Vista drivers, if you don’t find your drivers below, enter your model number here and navigate to Vista (32 bit) or Vista (64bit).

Audio Driver (32-bit and 64-bit)

Conexant HD-Audio SmartAudio 221, sp40270

Realtek High-Definition Audio, sp38899 or here

ADI SoundMAX HD Audio, sp36683 or sp45920

Modem Driver (32-bit and 64-bit)

Conexant HD Modem, sp37817

Motorola SM56 Modem, sp37811

Ethernet Driver (32-bit and 64-bit)

Realtek RTL8101, sp38900 or sp44999

Broadcom and Intel NICs, sp37093

Marvell Yukon 88E8039, sp37792 (32bit) and sp37854 (64bit)

Wireless Ethernet Driver (32-bit and 64-bit)

Intel PRO/Wireless,sp41263 or sp45671

Broadcom Wireless, sp39911 or sp45524

Atheros Wireless, sp45635

TouchPad Driver (32-bit and 64-bit)

Synaptics, sp45001   

ALPS, sp45035

HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless driver, sp46063

HP Wireless Assistant, sp45222

Additional software

1. HP QuickPlay Software, QuickPlay 3.7 v.6112
  2. Cyberlink YouCam Software, sp56980
  3. Lightscribe System Software, sp46011
  4. 3RVX, (QuickTouch may not work properly in Windows 7) use 3RVX instead.

HP Recommended

Models Level 3

Models in level 3 are not listed in HP table of supported notebooks however as stated it does not mean Windows 7 will not run perfectly.

Things you should know

Models Level 3 are:

1. Presario models (Vx5xx & BELOW,)i.e. V3201AU or V6320CA
  2. Pavilion models (dvx5xx & BELOW) i.e. dv2395EA or dv6470US or dv9308TX

Default drivers in Windows 7 will install most proper drivers for models in Level 3 except some HP custom drivers i.e., Quick Launch Software, Card reader, Fingerprint, etc.

In general 80% of drivers can be automatically detected by Windows 7 installer. Run Windows Update to find drivers first, if you can find it, and use vista drivers in your support page here

or

Download the following drivers use it at your own risk.

Note: If you found Vista driver failed to be installed in Windows 7, try vista compatibility mode

Chipset Driver (32-bit and 64-bit)

Model with Intel Processor

Intel chipset, infinst911autol

Model with AMD Processor (Ethernet LAN is included)

Nvidia chipset, sp34370 or sp36079 (Vista)

Video graphics Driver

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver

win7_1512754 (32-bit) and win7_64_1512754 (64-bit)

Nvidia Geforce go 7 and 6 series

179.48_32bit and 179.48_64bit

As alternative, try modded INF from www.laptopvideo2go.com site

For GeForce Release 195.81, here 32bit and here 64bit

For GeForce Release 197.16, here 32bit and here 64bit

3-step process to install:

1. Download driver, double click and select extract,

2. Download modded INF and replace original INF in extracted folder,

3. Install & reboot.

Ricoh Card Reader Driver (32-bit and 64-bit), sp37614

HP Quick Launch Button software (32-bit and 64-bit), sp46731

The following drivers are linked to HP Vista drivers, if you don’t find your drivers below, enter your model number here and navigate to Vista (32 bit) or Vista (64bit).

Audio Driver (32-bit and 64-bit)

Use Vista driver, enter your model number here

Modem Driver (32-bit and 64-bit)

Conexant HD Modem, sp37817

Ethernet Driver (32-bit and 64-bit)

Realtek RTL8101, sp38900 or sp44999

Broadcom and Intel NICs, sp37093

Wireless Ethernet Driver (32-bit and 64-bit)

Intel PRO/Wireless,sp41263 or sp45671

Broadcom Wireless, sp39911 or sp45524

Atheros Wireless, sp45635

TouchPad Driver (32-bit and 64-bit)

Synaptics, sp45001   

ALPS, sp45035

HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless driver, sp46063

HP Wireless Assistant, sp45222

Additional software

1. HP QuickPlay Software, QuickPlay 3.7 v.6112
  2. Cyberlink YouCam Software, sp56980
  3. Lightscribe System Software, sp46011
  4. 3RVX, (QuickTouch may not work properly in Windows 7) use 3RVX instead.

HP Recommended

Models Level 4

Models in level 4 are all HP and Compaq notebooks that shipped with XP. Some of your hardware is difficult to find drivers for, unless you have Vista drivers posted on your model page to substitute in Win 7.For these notebooks our recommendation is stay with XP. You already have a solid OS

Models Level 4 are:

1. Presario models (V2000 series) i.e. V2041AP
  2. Pavilion models (dv1000 series) i.e. dv1064EA 

HP Recommended

Multimedia Software

Some latest models mostly in Level 1 can use the following software.

For Pavilion notebooks in Level 2 and 3 use registry mod here to enable QuickPlay and DVD to launch HP Media Smart software.

Download &extract registry mod above, choose the correct file 32bit or 64 bit, double clicks to install it.

The DVD button will launch HP mediasmart DVD software, while Quickplay button will launch HP mediasmart smartmenu.

If you notebook shipped with HP QuickPlay, you may consider it as a free upgrade of QuickPlay.

HP MediaSmart SmartMenu, sp48552.exe

HP MediaSmart Movies and TV,
sp48734.exe

HP MediaSmart Video Software, sp48569.exe

HP MediaSmart DVD Software, sp48296.exe

HP MediaSmart Music Software, sp48297.exe

HP MediaSmart Photo Software, sp48299.exe

HP MediaSmart Webcam Software, sp48335.exe

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
HP Recommended

Windows 7 Upgrade FAQ

1. Why is this guide posted?

The main reason is to help HP-Compaq notebook owners. Officially HP only support models listed in table of HP notebook series supported with Windows 7.

2. Is this guide part of unofficial HP support?

Authors are never as part of HP support team or even HP employee. We are HP owners  the same as you are that use our own time free time to help other HP owners.

3. Is my notebook upgradable?

Most of notebook shipped with Vista will be able to install Windows 7 with little tweak here and there. Download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your PC can run Windows 7.

4. Authors state use this guide at your own risk, does it mean there is a risk and authors would not take responsibility?

Yes there is a risk to upgrade, in particular for notebooks that already have overheated issue, mostly Model level 2 and level 3. Please read some precautions in the guide.

5. Why is the guide divided in some levels?

The guide is divided based on hardware performance and compatibility with Windows 7. Level 1 is the trouble-free level, which almost all Windows 7 drivers listed in model support page. Level 2 and Level 3 are most notebooks shipped with Vista, HP does not publish windows 7 drivers however with the help of the guide you’ll find the necessary drivers. While Level 1 is notebook that not recommended to be upgraded.

6. There are other sticky Windows 7 guides, is this guide part of it or likewise?

Yes, there are other sticky guides that focused to pavilion dv2000, dv6000 and dv9000 but HP notebooks are not only Pavilions, that’s why in order to help all HP owners this guide was published.

7. Enough about the preamble, my notebook has problem with Vista, sound never come up in internal speaker while external speaker or headphone work like a charm.

Upgrading to Windows 7 mostly won’t fix hardware issue; the sound wont come up in internal speaker may not always a driver issue. Most of the problems are due to aging ribbon or audio board, please post your problem here or in hardware sections.

8. My sound is working fine in Vista and after the upgrade the light of mute touch button wont change, my internal speaker won’t mute if I plug headphone.

Well, this is a driver issue. Install Vista sound driver by using Vista compatibility mode. How? Right click the downloaded sound driver, choose properties, tab to compatibility, tick run this program in compatibility mode for Vista.

Note: It was reported that Vista drivers wont work well in Windows 7 64bit, however working well in 32bit.

9 .Why does my notebook not enter Standby /Hibernation?

Correct video driver is needed to enable standby/ hibernation. If installing Nvidia driver fails, use the “modded inf” as described in Level 1 and 2.

10. I had installed Win7 successfully per this guide, however this morning when I turn it on my screen goes black.

This issue frequently occurred in notebook with dying GPU/Chipset. If you have display issue, upgrading the OS wont help, in fact it will accelerate the problem.

11. How to determine I have dying GPU/Chipset?

Mostly while in Vista, it will hang and display video driver fail to work. Sometimes it works but fail after a while and the worse one is sometimes no display at all. In most of the cases the internal fan will run at full speed to decrease temperatures.

12. I use Upgrade option when installing Windows 7, however it stops, it complaining about the driver " keyboard filter”. What is this?

You should uninstall HP Quick Launch using Control Panel, Programs & Features. After the Win 7 upgrade, then install HP Quick Launch posted in this guide.

13. Which HP Quick Launch Button software for my notebook?

Try version listed in this guide first, if it does not work, try starting a new thread in OS section.

14. The Bluetooth driver doesn’t work to enable BT.

Install HP Wireless Assistant, open it and enable BT first.

15.  My network and wireless works out of box in Windows 7, do I need to install drivers?

Try it first, if it has problem then install driver listed in this guide.

16. My fingerprint wont work, DigitalPersona wont detect any device.

Install Fingerprint driver first reboot and install the software.

17. Everything is working well except QuickPlay and DVD touch buttons  won’t launch anything. I installed quickplay from my backup C:\swsetup but it failed.

Install QuickPlay software as listed in this guide. Note: QuickPlay software must be installed before Quick Launch Software.

18. When I increase/decrease volume control, there is no On Screen Display. I tried to install Quick Touch software but it failed.

Install 3RVX as an alternative or you may install HP MediaSmart SmartMenu

19. I have problem with QuickPlay software, I wish to launch other software with QuickPlay touch button

Unfortunately there is no user friendly setting, you need to edit the registry for HP Quick Launch Buttons, change QAction as you wish.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons]
"QAction"="C:\\Program Files\\Hewlett-Packard\\HP MediaSmart\\SmartMenu.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\MobilePC\HotStartButtons\1]
"ApplicationPath"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Hewlett-Packard\\HP MediaSmart\\SmartMenu.exe\""

For DVD button edit the hot button 2 as below

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\MobilePC\HotStartButtons\2]
"ApplicationPath"="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Hewlett-Packard\\Media\\DVD\\HPDVDSmart.exe\""

20. Can I install Mediasmart menu for my notebook?

Mostly notebook in level 1 would not have any problem, but one of the author tested that software in notebook level 2 without problem. Try it and edit the registry as mention above.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
HP Recommended

At this point my questions would be:

1. If HP does not support Windows 7, then who does?

2. I purchased this computer NEW with the free upgrade option attached from HP with no mention anywhere of no support so I felt secure in the proceeding with the upgrade option unaware of this.

3. Why is there no support officially?  I would tend to think right away it may be due to a current acknowledgement of issues that would certainlly be arising.  Seems as if there are hardware that is not as technology advanced as they are supposed to be.  Kind of like, eliminating waste from your inventory.

I wish I had been aware of all this prior to my purchase so I would have been able to explore other options. 

I would also like to know if I am just left out in the cold regarding any future support even the privelage of access to updated drivers will still be available for update?

Also, this would mean that my warranty is basically useless at this point.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
System Model HP G60 Notebook PC
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.63, 3/8/2010
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
HP Recommended

HP does NOT support Windows 7 for notebooks under Level 2, 3 categories.If you have a model with the Upgrade option, I would assume that you have a model listed under Level 1 category.

HP Recommended

Yea, I got that part mixed up I was piecing it with number 1 as being under 2 (lower than)

OMG! I swear I'm not stupid but this trip with this upgrade/restore, upgrade/restore is KILLING me.

To add some icing on the cake, waited all last week for my replacement recovery DVD's with the supplemental disk, since the first ones were incorrect.

Went to the mailbox today SAME SET AS THE FIRST SHIPMENT.

The order calls for item# 515690-002 Recovery Kit  Vista Prem. Par

They are inserted into a white sleeve with a barcode label to seal the flap and the item# 515690-002.

The DVD's (only 2) item# 515691-002.

This is only one reason why I'm so scatter-brained I can't even relate lower in number and the box below.  UGH

What a relief though.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
System Model HP G60 Notebook PC
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.63, 3/8/2010
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
HP Recommended

If you are trying to Recover back to Vista, use the Patch HERE After installing it you should be able to boot into Recovery partition to reinstall Vista. Simply hold the F11 key immediately after power on. It should boot into Recovery where you can choose to recover back to factory specs.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.