Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 8 (113 Views)

Getting drivers to reload on a computer that had a virus

Product Name: HP Pavilion dv6-6b00 Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC series
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My daughter got a laptop in 2011 from her then boyriend.  Since she had a computer she didnt use the new one until this year.  She recently got a virus.  She did not have a reecovery disk or dirivers.  So I went to HP and of course went in circles trying to get the operating system and drivers since it was way out of warranty. 

So then I went to Microsoft and chatted with a rep who gave me the windows 7 iso.  But of course I still do not have the divers.

Is there anyway to contact HP to get them or are they available from a third party?

Thank you for your help.

Alex

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 8 (93 Views)

Re: Getting drivers to reload on a computer that had a virus

Hi, Alex:

You can get all of the drivers and available software from the notebook's support page at the link below...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv6-6b00-quad-edition-entertainment-not...

Honor Student
Message 3 of 8 (88 Views)

Keep in mind that I am trying to download drivers from my computer to put on my dughters computer as her computer doesnt even have a network adapter driver to get online to download them. 

Having said that I went to the link you provided and entered in the information e.g. operating system and version, and the reply was that there is no drivers.

It further suggests to go to the product page, which I did.  It reccommends that I use the HP support assistant.  But can I use the support assistant on my computer for her computer?  Below that is a link to se all the drivers.  But the link does nothing.  

Thanks

Provost
Message 4 of 8 (80 Views)

Hi:

Yes, you are kind of caught between a rock and a hard place.

I have no problem seeing all of the drivers listed on the link I posted.

You need to be using IE11 for best results.

Here is the link to the ethernet (wired network) driver for that model from the support page.

This package provides the Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver that enables the Realtek Network Interface Card (NIC) Chip in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54998.exe

If you post the hardware ID for the wifi adapter, I will post the link to the driver you need for that.

Since there are almost a dozen different model wifi adapter drivers listed on the support page, the hardware ID will tell me exactly what driver you need.

The wireless network adapter will be showing up in the device manager under the Other Devices category labeled as a Network Controller.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID for a device.

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

Honor Student
Message 5 of 8 (72 Views)

Thanks for all your help Paul.  The network Controller IDs are:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008B&SUBSYS_53158086&REV_34

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008B&SUBSYS_53158086

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008B&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008B&CC_0280

Provost
Message 6 of 8 (60 Views)

You're very welcome.

Here is the link to the wifi driver you need for the Intel wifi card...

This package contains drivers required to enable functionality of the Intel Wireless LAN adapter on supported notebooks with supported operating systems.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54841.exe

Honor Student
Message 7 of 8 (55 Views)

So just out of curiosity and so I dont have to keep asking you for each item, how do you tell from the IDs which driver to choose.  When I entered the top ID doe the network controller the seach for it came up with centrino N-1030 adapter.

Again thanks

Alex

Provost
Message 8 of 8 (50 Views)

That's exactly how you do it.

You actually can shorten the search parameter by just googling the first section of the ID like this...

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008B

Then you find the corresponding driver on the support page.

I hope that you can access it now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation