Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Before buying - to use some existing programs need to know if I can install Windows 8 Pro OEM (never opened) so I can run in WINDOWS XP MODE and replace Windows 10 of HP 15-ay053nr Laptop, 15.6" Touchscreen, Intel® Core™ i5, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, Windows® 10

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

As I understand, true Microsoft XP Mode as downloaded direct from Microsoft is only supported on Windows 7 Professional, not Windows 8. On Windows 10 you can run Windows XP as a virtual machine using a variety of different platforms. I use Oracle Virtualbox, for example to run Linux under Windows 10 and could easily do Windows XP. So Windows 8 does not do you much good. Maybe somebody else has some ideas?

HP Recommended

Does the Windows 10 have to be the PRO version to also run XP

HP Recommended

No you can use Virtualbox on the Home version. You will need a copy of Windows XP. I have seen some posts that explain how you can download the XP mode files from Microsoft and use them in Virtualbox. 

It does require that you recreate the virtual machine every 30 days:

http://www.download3k.com/articles/How-to-add-an-XP-Mode-Virtual-Machine-to-Windows-10-or-8-using-Hy...

The above shows how to do it in Hyper-V which is another virtual machine app. 

Virtualbox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgOugfLxEdU

If you have a copy of Windows XP with a Key Code you can use that disk with Virtualbox. There is a lot of help on the Virtualbox website and it is very easy to install and configure. I understand that the Microsoft XP Mode implementation is just a variation of software like Virtualbox. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.