Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 2000 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My HP 2000 Notebook PC hasn't been starting up properly. I just wanted to check some things in it, but when I turned it on, all that follows is a black screen, then a screen that says "preparing automatic repair", goes to black screen again, then another screen saying "diagnosing your computer" , black screen again, then proceeds display the "repairing disk error. This may take over an hour to complete" screen. After a couple hours, the screen goes black and the whole process starts over. I tried to go to system recovery(f11), but it redirects back to the "preparing automatic repair" screen. Is there something wrong with the hard drive itself or is it something different? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@HyperDrive1313,

I recommend you contact support as this looks like a hardware issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@HyperDrive1313,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are unable to boot to Windows.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04718479

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, I followed the steps provided by the link, but my laptop still displays the same messages( preparing auto repair, diagnosing your pc, Repairing disk errors). If theres anything else I can do to possibly fix it, then that be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

@HyperDrive1313,

Did you run the hardware test on the computer suggested in the article? If yes, let me know the result.

If you didn't run the test, I recommend you run the test to make sure it is not a hardware issue.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I cant access the hardware test because the computer wont start up windows. It still gives me the same messages and proceeds to loop.

HP Recommended

@HyperDrive1313,

You can access the hardware diagnostics without booting to Windows.

Here is how it is done.

1. Turn on the computer.

2. Immediately press the f2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the UEFI menu opens.

When the UEFI menu opens, select the diagnostic test you want to run, and then follow the on-screen instructions.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok, I  went to the UEFI menu and did the Memory and Hard Drive checks( these were the only ones that showed other than language and exit) and these are the results:

Memory: PASSED

Hard Drive(Quick)

- SMART CHECK: PASSED

-Short DST: PASSED

Hard Drive(Extensive)

-SMART Check: NOT INSTALLED

-Long DST: NOT INSTALLED 

I hope this info helps.

HP Recommended

@HyperDrive1313,

I recommend you contact support as this looks like a hardware issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok thank you for helping.

HP Recommended

@HyperDrive1313,

You're welcome!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.