Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

"If anyone is up to trying one more trick- this has been reported working on several other threads.

Open C:\SWSetup and look for the folder where the sp extracted- should be C:\SWSetup\sp82228. Open

it and look for setup.exe. Double click to run it."

Already done! It does not work.:womansad:

HP Recommended

@Snake1968

I did not suggest to remove any  windows update. I simply asked how many actually got the problem after that particular update as it had been mentioned by someone on another thread.

The more info HP has to narrow this down- the faster a solution can be released.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended
So what's to do now? Any solution?
HP Recommended

@quilava2191

I have been reporting these posts to HP. Also just added the info on which particular Windows Update seemed to break 3D Driveguard. Now it is up to HP and Microsoft to figure out why this conflict is happening between their two softwares.  MS may do another Update to fix it or HP may release a new driver. I can only wait to hear something from HP and pass it along.

In the meantime-if the error message is too much to cope with all you can do is uninstall 3D Driveguard and wait. @Nazrae uninstalled the 2017-11 Cumulative Update from Windows Update and it fixed the error message but as pointed out it will download and install again.

HP Recommended

@CherylG @Snake1968

I took the liberty of uninstalling the Windows Cumulative Update and it was not suggested by anyone. And it seems that my instincts was right. The Windows Cumulative Update caused the HP 3D DriveGuard error and now that the culprit has been identified, HP can take the next course of action.

As per my response in regards to Windows redownloading the Cumulative update, those who are running Windows 10 Professional can 'halt/pause' the Windows Update by edit the Local Group Policy or simply uninstall the HP 3D DriveGuard, if the error message is somewhat annoying (please bear in mind that, THIS IS NOT a solution).

As for me, I chose to leave HP 3D DriveGuard installed as it pose no harm to the system except for that annoying error popup 😛

In the meantime, HP can work out an update now that we know what caused it. 🙂

FYI.. I used to work for Nokia as Tech Support so testing, troubleshooting and identifying the cause is my thang.. So any issues arise on my device is my own responsibility (that's when Recovery CDs comes in handy :p).

CherylG, you know what to do next. Go get 'em girl! 🙂

PS.. I don't think MS would do anything as they only focusing on updating Windows and other MS products i.e. MS Office and other software which may have Security issue and needs patching etc. Only OEM companies like HP, Dell etc. must keep up as to what MS might release and if any of MS update causes an issue or malfunction, then these OEM companies must rectify it. MS probably provide the algorithm or script or what not from the recently released update (I'm not a programmer :p) for OEMs to release an updated version of their software to run efficiently with the recently updated Windows version.

As a paying customer, I know it's frustrating but it's still tolerable as it does not pose any significant threat as long as I don't bash my laptop against a wall or drop it on the floor on purpose. As a Techie, look for the culprit and once the culprit has been found, report it and let HP Tech Expert like CherylG escalate it to the relevant department so that they can do what they needed to do. As a Forumer, we're all in the same boat. It's all trial and error and if it works, it works. But if it doesn't then, HP must formulate a solid solution.

HP Recommended
So it's nearly 10 days since the update but no update from HP. Well done, MAKE HP GREAT AGAIN!!!
HP Recommended

@Nazrae

I applaud you on your troubleshooting skills. Your testing is what I used to provide more details to HP internal and should be key in solving it.

@quilava2191

I certainly understand the frustration and sense of urgency over this. The problem is most of us didn't realize the magnitude of the problem and report it immediately.

I looked back and my initial report was on  the evening of 11-14. At that time the report was only that 3D Driveguard was causing an error in Fall Creators Update. Later it became evident that one particular Cumulative Update seemed to trigger the error and should narrow down replicating the error and rectifying it. However that last info was reported  late evening 11-16. I have added links to more posts that point to the Cumulative Update. Our Administrator won't be back in until Monday so it will be at least then before I hear anything about the progress made by engineers working the isuue.

HP Recommended
Any update from HP?
HP Recommended
@quilava2191

I think they're still at it.. Give 'em a little bit of time.. Things like this cannot be rushed.. I'm sure they'll figure out something or come out with an update in few days time.. Patience.. 🙂
HP Recommended

No response so far..

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.