Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 655

Hi everybody,

I tried to update BIOS from F.23 To F.29 but the system crashed and now I cannot turn the PC on.

How can I restore the BIOS?

I tried with SP66770 but this packet doesn't allow to create an USB flash. I there an alternative way?

Many thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Fepo
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Are you able to boot the computer into windows startup screen?
  • What happens when you start your computer? Do you see a blue screen or error message?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: (if the computer is not booting up)

1) Shutdown the computer. 
2) Unplug all the Adapter and peripherals connected. 
3) Remove the Battery. (this is not for non-removable battery laptop) 
4) Press and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds. 
5) Plug-in the Adapter and put the Battery back into the computer. (this is not for non-removable battery laptop) 
6) Try to turn on the computer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, Echo_lake,

thanks for your answer. Unfortunatly I'm not able to boot the computer into windows startup screen.

When I start my computer the screen is black and the CAPS LOCK led blink. THe BIOS is not working due the failed update. Is there a way to reflash the BIOS in this situation?

Thanks indeed

HP Recommended

@Fepo

1. Turn off the computer, and then connect the power cord.

2. Press and hold the Windows key  and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold the power button for 2 to 3 seconds.

3. Release the Power button but continue pressing the Windows and B keys. You might hear a series of beeps.

The HP BIOS Update screen displays and the recovery begins automatically. Follow any on-screen prompts to continue the startup to complete the recovery.

HP BIOS Update recovery in progress

• If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps but press the Windows key and the V key. If the screen still does not display, your computer might not support the feature or there is a hard drive issue. Continue to the next step to install a BIOS recovery file from the HP website.

• If the Power light turns off, the Power button was held too long. Repeat the previous steps, making sure to hold the button for only 2 to 3 seconds.

• If a BIOS recovery message repeatedly displays, continue to the next step to install an updated BIOS version.

• If a message that the computer improperly shut down or a boot problem is detected displays, follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the error.

• If Windows starts, update to the latest BIOS version. Go to HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS.

Step 2: Install a BIOS recovery file from the HP website using a USB flash drive. To complete this step, you need a second working computer with an active Internet connection.

1. Obtain the product number for the original notebook that requires a BIOS recovery. This number is typically found on a label on the bottom of the notebook or on the box it shipped in. Go to How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? for additional options.

NOTE: The general family name near the keyboard or on the frame around the display is not specific enough for identifying correct download files.

Notebook computer label with the product number highlighted

2. Insert a blank USB flash drive into an available port on the second computer.

3. Go to HP Software & Driver Downloads and enter the product number of the original computer.

NOTE: If you upgraded the original computer to a new Windows version, in the Selected operating system pane, click Change, select the original operating system that came with your computer, and then click Change.
  4. Click BIOS, and then review the details of the latest available version or the specific version recommended for the recovery. Confirm it is the correct BIOS update before proceeding.

5. Click Download, and then click Run.

6. In the InstallShield Wizard window, click Next.

InstallShield Wizard

7. Select I accept the terms in the license agreement, and then click Next.

8. Choose to remove or keep the files after the recovery, and then click Next to open the HP BIOS Update and Recovery window.

9. Select Create Recovery USB flash drive, and then click Next.

Create Recovery USB flash drive in HP System BIOS Update Utility

10. Select your USB flash drive, and then click Next to copy the BIOS file to the drive.

11. When 'The recovery flash drive was created successfully' displays, click Finish.

12. Remove the flash drive from the computer.

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Echo_Lake,

thank you very much for your patience.

I tried STEP1 but didn't work. Then I tried STEP 2 in order to create an USB flash drive. I downloaded SP66770 that is the only BIOS update packet available on the HP support here https://support.hp.com/it-it/drivers/selfservice/closure/hp-655-notebook-pc/5225017 When I lauch the program doesn't allow to create an USB flash drive.

Is there an alternative way to create the USB flash drive?

Many thanks

HP Recommended

@Fepo
To get the answer to this question, there is no different way to create BIOS recovery, However, I can suggest trying using a Windows recovery media to reinstall windows operating system which will flash the bios settings. If you created your own recovery media, you can use it to perform a Factory Reset on your computer.

If no Click Here to Obtain PC Recovery USB Drives or Discs.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.