Level 1
8 5 1 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

HP Envy 17t-cg000 Locked BIOS Administrator Password Reset

HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17 Laptop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Envy 17t-cg000 has possible corrupted hard drive, or possible virus, and has become unusable/untrustworthy.

Windows recovery partition on hard drive is unavailable.

Attempts to reinstall Windows via bootable USB installation media fail at startup when attempting to boot from USB media.

Pressing F1 at startup for system information gives the following information about the system.

Product Name: HP ENVY Laptop 17-cg0xxx

Product Number: 8KG04AV

System Board ID: 875C

BIOS Revision: F.21

Pressing F9 (Boot Menu) or F10 (BIOS Setup) at startup both result in a small blue box on an otherwise black screen with "Enter Administrator Password" above a small black box which has a pair of square brackets [   ] on either side of it. I am aware of no Administrator Password ever being set on this machine, and have no idea what the password might be.

Attempts to press enter, result in another small blue box on an otherwise black screen with "Invalid Password." above a small black box containing "Ok" in white letters, and nothing else.

After three attempts to get past the "Enter Administrator Password" box, another small blue box on an otherwise black background comes up containing the words "System Disabled" above a horizontal white line, and below that line is a number that I do not understand. The following number is displayed with square brackets on either side of it and looks like this:

[i 68053508]

That is a lower-case letter i in front of that 8-digit number, and it is separated from that 8-digit number by a space.

This number does not change over repeated attempts to provide access to the BIOS in order to completely wipe this machine's hard drive and reinstall Windows 10 from scratch. It is always displayed as [i 68053508].

I am hoping that someone knows how to get past this point, enable boot from USB installation media, and proceed normally from there.

Since this seems to be affecting the BIOS, I would also, as part of resetting things, like to reflash the BIOS, just to be sure, but if that is not possible, perhaps I might be ok otherwise, but it would be good to reflash, just as an extra measure of safety, since I do not really know exactly what's going on with the machine.

Kindest thanks, in advance, for any help, from anyone.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation