Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Dear all, 

I'm trying to install Ubuntu on my HP Envy x2 but no way to boot from USB Bootable disk. I went to the BIOS and put on the top USB Disk/Driver but no result. Can some one help please.

Regards,

MH.  

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello @mhatchabi,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how you are looking to install Ubuntu as your operating system, and I would be happy to guide you towards a resolution!

For further information regarding HP and Linx, please follow this document on Frequently Asked Questions About Linux (FAQs).

Best Regards :smileyhappy:

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

The above response is not a helpful response.  All you've done is post a link to something that has nothing to do with the question asked.  He wasn't asking about installing WIndows on an linux machine, he was asking how to install a version of linux on a machine that's got Windows on it.

I too want an answer to this.  My wife has an Envy X2, and it appears that nobody knows how to install any version of linux on it.  It should be easy to do, but HP has somehow made it difficult.

So, let's try this again:  HOW can we install a version of linux (Ubuntu, Mint, whatever) on an Envy X2 that has Windows 8 on it?

Please do your job and try to find an answer, don't just post another useless link.  Doing that is the *opposite* of customer service.

HP Recommended

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages, this post has instructions.

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended
Dear MechPilot,

RShack is right. Your post didn't provide me a solution. After receiving it and exploring your links, I just concluded that it is not possible to do what I want given that even hp support cannot give me a step by step and efficient solution. According my understanding HP didn t design this product to support Linux and for some marketing reasons HP "avoid" to communicate on it. I just have done better not buy this notebook.

Thanks,
MH.
HP Recommended

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages, this post has instructions.

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Can we please get some help with this?   So far, all we have is private messages and links to things that have nothing to do with this issue...

Here's what we need:  a way to get an Envy X2 to boot into something other than Windows... the goal is to install some version of linux on the machine, mainly because the machine is too lame to run Windows well...

Apparently, it used to be possible to buy Envy X2's that had linux installed on them... from a source in Australia... so, it appears to be possible... BUT WE NEED SOME HELP!

Whoever at HP reads this, if you don't know the answer, please go up the ladder until you find some tech guy who does know the answer... PLEASE!!!

HP Recommended

Even Android would be better on this thing than Windows... so a way to boot either linux or Android would be a huge help... right now, my wife has a $600+ paperweight because HP did a lousy spec...

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I am sorry to be so late in the discussion but I didn't get an ENVY before last week. I did some trial and error and the following worked for me (by the way my device is an Envy x2 15-c000ng). Read the entire post first as it contains quite an UNPROFESSIONAL STEP. Also keep in mind that what worked for me might not work for you. As usual first a disclaimer: IF YOU FOLLOW THE STEPS I HAVE TAKEN, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. ONLY PROCEED IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING (which I at the unprofessional point obviously didn't know). MESSING UP YOUR BIOS CAN CAUSE SEVERE PROBLEMS TO YOUR SYSTEMS FUNCTIONALITY OR EVEN MAKE YOUR DEVICE PERMANENTLY NONFUNCTIONAL.

Here it comes:

-get an external usb cd/dvd/bd-drive loaded with an ubuntu or any other linux disc. Bootable USB stick might work as well but hasn't been tested.

-get an external usb keyboard (the ubuntu disc won't recognise my bluetooth keyboard, but does recognise the touchscreen when I go to the live session). However, the external keyboard is your only input device to choose from the boot menu of the disc at the start. I have only tried the live disc so far, I hope there is a workaround ro get the bluetooth keyboard running on the installed OS.

- connect both devices to your tablet/computer before proceeding with the next step

-go to the bios using first the windows or escape butten, then pressing F10 (to the proper bios, not the boot device settings only thing). There the the third tab (System Configuration) last line (boot options) should bring you to the elaborate boot options. Change the boot options for UEFI to your liking (in my case USB CD/DVD to the top), disable secure boot, exit saving all changes.

-Now the UNPROFESSIONAL PART: Now (after a few secs) a screen comes asking you to confirm that you do want to disable secure boot. It prompts you to enter a four digits number and hit enter. I wasn't sure I really want that as I was only trying out and simply turned the device off (power button at the top). As I said, not that professional 😉
*The following hasn't been tested by me and is mere speculation.* If you know what secure boot does and whether you can turn it on again after you turned it off (which I don't know for sure), you may complete the disabeling process at your own risk, if the "just turn it off"-method did'nt work for you. I've seen some guys on youtube disabeling it to be able to downgrade from windows 8 to windows 7 (but not on this device), so it seems to somehow enhance your boot options. *End of speculation*

-Even though my secure boot stayed on "enabled" after all, I was now able to enable the cd drive as boot device as follows.

-When rebooting, I went to the minimalized boot menu (Escape/Windows button, then F9), and, finally, I was able to select the DVD drive which I of course selected. Then exit sving all changes.

-I only started a live session and didn't install the OS. I wanted to have a dual OS system with Ubuntu and Win10, but since the Ubuntu bootloader only recognises the external Keyboard (which I don't want to carry with me at all times) I postponed the installation of Ubuntu.

I hope this helps at least some of you getting an open source OS running on your machine 😃

Best,

Major Major

HP Recommended

I am adding to this list with the same question: How can I install another OS (preferably Linux) on a HP Envy X2 from an USB stick?

The method of Major Major did not work for me.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.