Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My notebook is just over a year old.  OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. When trying to boot, F11 to get to Recovery Manager does not work. It just goes to black screen with a cursor.  Bios version F.17. Ran diagnostic tests and everything passed.  Lost my boot disk. Have borrowed a friend's but it won't repair the problem. When running Startup Repair, it says that if you  have recently attached a device to this compuer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer.  There is no device attached but this keeps coming up.  Tried system restore from borrowed boot disk and it will not restore  Gives message An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x8000ffff).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you still have the boot disc you borrowed, boot from it again, select Repair Your Computer and choose the Command Prompt.  When this loads, enter the following commands and hit enter after each one - include spaces as shown.

Bootrec.exe

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

Remove the boot disc and try rebooting the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi:

My recommendation would be to click on the link below, and then click on the link labeled Order recovery Media.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4290...

If the link doesn't work, just call HP and order by phone.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you still have the boot disc you borrowed, boot from it again, select Repair Your Computer and choose the Command Prompt.  When this loads, enter the following commands and hit enter after each one - include spaces as shown.

Bootrec.exe

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

Remove the boot disc and try rebooting the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I may have typed something wrong...when I restarted, it said something was wrong on the boot rec and to put the windows boot disk back in and when it would starts windows, to click repair.  This time the repair worked and windows started.  Right now I'm backing up the computer and then will restart it to see if everything is okay.  Thank you so much!  Any idea what happened or caused this?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome - did the notebook reboot Ok?

It may be a good idea, once you have all your personal data backed-up safely, to check the drive for errors as described below - this process can take a few hours.

Click the Start Menu, click Computer, left click Local Disc C once to highlight it, right click Local Disc C and select Properties.  Click the Tools tab and then click the button to 'Check the Drive for Errors'.  In the following window make sure both boxes are ticked and then click Start.  Agree to schedule the check at the next system restart and then restart the notebook - this process can take a sevral ( usually between 2 - 6 ) hours to complete before loading back into Windows.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Yes, it is booting fine now. Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Good to hear :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my laptop but I don't have the recovery disc.  How do I get one?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Please read the information at the link below for how to order a recovery disk for your notebook.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00810334

Paul

HP Recommended
I just made a account on here just to say your solution worked. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.