Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp laptop - 15-ef0023dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, my hp laptop - 15-ef0023dx has all the sudden just stopped wanting to turn on. This happened few days ago when i turned off my laptop and left it off overnight. The next day when i pressed the power button, the laptop didn't turn on. When it's plugged in the charging LED is white and turns off when unplugged.

So i went to try to perform a hard reset and turning it on plugged in without the battery and it doesn't work at all. The thing I want to note out is that a few weeks ago, the laptop had said something about an CMOS error and i thought nothing of it. It seems like anything i try to do does nothing and it feels as It's completely dead and would never turn on. The only sign of life I'm getting from my laptop is the charging LED.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@PizzaHasLost

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing issues with the HP Notebook is not booting up to windows. The BIOS can be corrupted during normal operation from a failed BIOS upgrade, or damage from a virus. Recover the BIOS using a key press combination.

Turn off the computer. Press and hold the Windows + b keys, and continue to press those keys while you press and hold the power button for 2 to 3 seconds. Release the power button, but continue pressing the Windows + b keys.

The power light remains on, and the screen remains blank for about 40 seconds before anything is displayed. You might hear a series of beeps (usually 8 beeps). Eventually, an HP BIOS Update screen is displayed and the BIOS update begins automatically.   

NOTE: If the HP BIOS Update screen is not displayed, press and release the power button, and then immediately press the Windows + b keys at the same time, repeatedly, until the computer beeps or opens the HP BIOS Update screen.

After the BIOS is recovered, a Continue Startup button is displayed and a timer counts down. Click the Continue Startup button to restart the computer immediately, or wait for the computer to restart automatically when the timer reaches zero. If issue still persist then it is a hardware issue on the Laptop PC.

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. I would request you to contact our HP Support Engineers and should be able to sort this out. HP provides repair or service options for out of warranty products as well. Hence I encourage you to contact HP support for all warranty service options.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options.

Follow the instructions below to reach them:  

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp 

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.  

4) Select the country from the drop-down.  

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences.  

6) Fill the web form and proceed further.  

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

For any hardware issue or repair please click on the link Phone Assist Worldwide

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Thank you, but i don't think you understood what i said. I apologize if thîs was in the wrong category, but the main issue is the laptop doesn't turn on, period. Press and hold down the power button and nothing happens. It still charges and can still lose charge somehow(white led going from orange after being left uncharged). I can't turn off or turn on the laptop simply because it just don't work when you press the button 

HP Recommended

@PizzaHasLost,

Thank you for responding, I appreciate your time and effort.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Going forward, we are going to take steps to ensure that this situation does not happen again. 

It could be a hardware issue on the PC. As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. I would request you to contact our HP Support Engineers and should be able to sort this out. HP provides repair or service options for out of warranty products as well. Hence I encourage you to contact HP support for all warranty service options.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.