Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eli-WNAC
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Laptop will not boot - restore/recovery options will not work. Missing original boot disk. HELP!

HP Laptop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am unable to boot a HP laptop that I own.

I did not purchase this laptop directly from a store. A friend of my mother gave her this laptop soon before she passed away. My mother gave the laptop to me as she had no use for it. The computer was password protected, and because the original purchaser and user had passed, we had no way of logging into the laptop. In an effort to log into the laptop without a password, we let a friend of ours try and get into the laptop. He had said that he knew how he could get around the password by booting in safe mode and changing the password ( I don't really understand what he actually did, or planned to do, so I can't give to much detail to how the laptop got to the state it is currently in).

Now when you try and turn on the computer, it says "No bootable device found - please insert boot disk and press any button to continue". I have tried several troubleshooting options; trying to do a system restore; trying to boot from a USB OS, trying to factory restore the computer, etc. I've tried pretty much every option available in the windows help section that I was able to get to by opening the menu before the computer would try and boot.

At this point I'm out of ideas. My last resort option is to buy a new OS disk from the store and try and boot from that, but I'm worried if I buy the new OS disk it might not even boot with that and I'd end up wasting my money.

It seems to be a pretty nice laptop so it's a shame it has to go to waste. Hopefully someone can help me solve this issue, and figure out how I can run an OS on this laptop. The other problem I imagine I will face is once I am able to get windows to work, it will probably still be password protected so I will have to figure that out too.

I understand that sense I didn't purchase the laptop from a store my ability to receive technical assistance is probably limited, but I can assure you everything I stated above is the truth, and if I ever had to prove it I'm sure I could contact my mother and have her give me some kind of proof of how I ended up with this laptop. I'm sure there were better ways to get into the laptop without the password, but my friend seemed certain he could do it. He told me that Windows or HP must've updated somehow to stop people from doing whatever he was trying to do.

If you can help me, great. If you are certain that there is nothing I can do, that will also help. I've already spent a couple hours trying to figure this out with no success.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
1,062 1,051 49 100
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Laptop will not boot - restore/recovery options will not work. Missing original boot disk. HELP!

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

This topic is going to be locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation