Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Notebook 15-BW034NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Right, so ive taken on what I thought would be a relatively easy task of installing a fresh copy of windows and restoring my nieces computer which she needs for uni as it was slower than a snail. So up until now ive pretty much tried everything and still no joy. Recovery wont work, factory reset wont work, intalling windows 10 from the media creation tool wont work...and so on. Ive ran the diagnostics and everything is fine. I actually thought the hard drive had given up.

Ive created the windows media creation tool, chose windows 10 - 64bit, used a usb with 32gb, used rufus and fat32, changed the settings in the bios to the correct booting order, turned on/off legacy mode again tried everything to my knowledge. When i hit esc and choose boot options it see's my usb but soon as I click it it loops or crashes?

Any help please before I smash it!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Try the HP cloud recovery tool to make a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with the notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

There should be no need to change the boot order in the BIOS.

I would set the hard drive as the first boot device and save the settings, or just reset the BIOS to its defaults, save and exit.

First I would try the installation with secure boot enabled.   

Only disable secure boot if the notebook doesn't see the USB flash drive as a bootable device.

Have the flash drive in the PC, turn on or restart it.  Tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, and from that, select the USB Diskette on key/USB Hard drive and press the Enter key.

The PC should then boot from the USB recovery drive.

If it crashes that way too, unfortunately I don't have any other suggestions for you to try.

Her

HP Recommended

Hi, and thanks for the swift reply. Ive tried to download and run the hp recovery but the only other laptop I have access to has OS Vista, and its giving me this message when failing to install: 

Prerequisite check for system component Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 (x86 and x64) failed with the following error message:
"Installation of the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 is not supported on this operating system. Contact your application vendor."

I have a macbook myself as I moved on from Windows many years ago and never looked back. Can I create the HP recovery on the Mac?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You will have to use a PC with W7 x64 or newer on it to use the cloud recovery tool, and since you have already tried the media creation tool and that didn't work, I don't have any other ideas for you to try.

Did you use this method to create the bootable W10 USB installer?

Create Windows 10 bootable USB from ISO on Mac without BootCamp | Password Recovery (top-password.co...

HP Recommended

I created it with rufus on the Mac, but for what’s is worth I will try this way too and let you know how I get on. 

HP Recommended

There must surely be another way! I’ve tried again with the guide you posted on my Mac but still no luck. I don’t have access to another pc/laptop that has Windows 10. So there’s no way I can find an ISO which is ready to boot from with the HP recovery software pre loaded?

HP Recommended

The only suggestion I can offer would be to call HP customer service in the UK, and see if they sell recovery media for your notebook.

Contact HP - Phone Assist | HP® United Kingdom

Call the number listed for Computing Products for Home.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.