Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After replacing my son's broken HDD, I installed Windows 7 which I then upgraded to Windows 10.  I find that the laptop will not boot unless the Legacy option is enabled in the BIOS.  If I turn off Legacy option it won't boot and I get the message "Boot disc not found".   This may have been like it before his HDD was replaced but I'm not sure.  There is no reason to want to boot from UEFI (as it boots up OK using Legacy) except the legacy option seems slow.  Any comments gratefully received.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you had W7 on the notebook before, then Legacy mode would have to have been enabled.

I believe you have to install W10 in UEFI mode.   You can't just switch the settings.

Then I also believe you will get an error that states in substance...windows can't be installed to this disk because it is MBR, and you need to convert the disk to GPT.

Now as far as booting time, I don't know why UEFI would boot faster, but perhaps it does.

The main advantage of UEFI is for those folks that use drives greater than 2 TB to be used as boot drives.

Otherwise, there are no major differences (unless you are right about the faster boot time).

There are some tips and videos for how to install W10 in UEFI mode...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=gFbg1Q7a7yo

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you had W7 on the notebook before, then Legacy mode would have to have been enabled.

I believe you have to install W10 in UEFI mode.   You can't just switch the settings.

Then I also believe you will get an error that states in substance...windows can't be installed to this disk because it is MBR, and you need to convert the disk to GPT.

Now as far as booting time, I don't know why UEFI would boot faster, but perhaps it does.

The main advantage of UEFI is for those folks that use drives greater than 2 TB to be used as boot drives.

Otherwise, there are no major differences (unless you are right about the faster boot time).

There are some tips and videos for how to install W10 in UEFI mode...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=gFbg1Q7a7yo

HP Recommended

Thanks for your prompt reply.   I am only guessing the UEFI boot will be faster.  As my son's HDD is only 1TB I will choose to leave it booting in Legacy mode as I don't want to erase his programs and data.  The video link you mentioned is very informative and I shall save it for future reference should he need to do a clean install of Winndows 10, when I will take the opportunity to do the installation in UEFI mode.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.