Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion DV7 17-f076no Serial: J1X05EA#UUW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello
I have been investigating *a lot* and trying to boot a 2015 year HP Pavilion DV7 17-f076no (Serial: J1X05EA#UUW) from a Chinese Ebay optical drive HDD\SSD caddy:
Read multiple forum questions that had the same problem as I: ( Bios can't find a bootable SSD inside optical caddy )
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...find-caddy-SSD-in-BIOS-boot-list/td-p/3278964
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2059129/bios-recognize-hdd-hard-drive-caddy.html

Startup:

• Cloned a 1000gb HDD containing 100/1000gb of Windows 10 Home 64-bit to a 500gb SSD with a EZ Gig IV 4.6.2 cloning software and a USB-SATA transfer cable.
  • Original 1000gb HDD is still inside the laptop.
  • DVD-drive replaced with a 500gb SSD caddy.

So far:

1. The SSD (=2018 Samsung 860EVO 500gb) can be used and seen inside Windows 10. ( As a storage only )
  2. The 2015 Bios F.43 Rev.A American Megatrends Inc. can not see the SSD from the BIOS boot order. Windows Boot Manager sees only the original HDD.
  3. UEFI Legacy boot-mode is disabled. I don't think enabling it would help since I'm starting up Windows 10.

Solutions:

1. Faulty caddy ? Chinese sellers sell many multiple variations of different 9.7mm thick caddys with different micro switches. This one had only a 1 pc of micro switch with 2 position choices.
  2. Bios is just not flexible enough. Open the 20+pcs of laptop screws and put the SSD to the place of the original HDD.
  3. UEFI Legacy mode ?
  4. Modding the caddy. Someone said the caddy is in a "power saving sleep mode" when inside BIOS and it is therefore unseen and shortening some pins would help ? Any experience in soldering the caddy electronics so that it is constantly awake ? This sounds believable ?
  5. Cloned the HDD twice to minimize errors but no help I doubt it is because of the cloning process and if it is it is because the HDD and SSD were not the same size 1000gb and 1000gb and the partitions don't match or so...?

Laptops are not easy...

This 2015 HP DV7 17-f076no has more than >20pcs of screws because the whole bottom must be removed and 2pcs of the screws have broken thread nuts that just spin and don't open (= I have to use some innovative methods in opening them)

I now have because of this difficult laptop a large collection of long 160-300mm needle pliers, scissors, forceps and hemostats, you name it... which I try to grind\file to make them thinner so they can fit in to the laptop's small gap of 4mm.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.