Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (160 Views)

HP Pavilion Notebook 15z turns off when battery gets below 30-40%

Product Name: HP Pavilion Notebook K8Y44AV
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Two weeks after my one year warranty was up my laptop started shutting off when the battery was around 30-40%.  I checked the battery using the HP Support Assistant Diagnostic Check and it continues to say the "Primary battery is OK."  I've also noticed that since this started happening the battery won't fully charge.  It only charges to 90-94% then shows "94% available (plugged in, not charging)."  I used to unplug the battery until the battery saver (set at 20%) would turn on then I'd fully charge it and repeat.  

I use my laptop for work so I'm usually plugged in 8-14 hours a day for five days a week.  I shut it off every night as well.  Am I missing something or is this the battery life I should get?  Did I use it too much?  I purposefully got a long life battery because for work.

I found the article below which sounds similar to my situation and wanted to ask anyway.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Pavilion-15-notebook-sudden...

This is my first HP and I didn't have battery issues like this with any previous laptop doing the same amount of work/usage for at least 2+ years.  Is this the way HP's are?  Am I supposed to expect this type of performance out of my laptop?

Thanks for any help/suggestions/words of wisdom.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 6 (126 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion Notebook 15z turns off when battery gets below 30-40%

Hi @RunEverywhere,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having battery charging issues on your HP notebook. Don't worry we'll work together to find a solution for you,

Let's try these steps here:

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%.

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins.

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager,

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed.

Also, Go through them all and let me know what you have determined is causing the issue. The first document has the most relevant troubleshooting if your battery appears to be not charging.

HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10)

To understand more about how your battery works: Click here

HP Notebook PCs - Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

HP Notebook PCs - Battery Charging Delayed When Operating Notebook in High Ambient Temperatures

HP Notebook PCs - Battery Indicator Light Turns On and Off While Battery is Charging

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.

If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.

Both icons are below this post.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (113 Views)

Hi Jeet,

Thanks for the response.  

After going through your steps and running the diagnostic check it now shows the "Primary Battery" is "Weak."  Is this the expected performance after 13 months (it started at 12 months and 2 weeks to be more precise)?  I guess I was expecting more out of what was labeled a "long lasting battery."  If there's nothing else I can do except buy a new battery on a yearly basis (which I wasn't expecting and is a bit disappointing) I'll keep this in mind when purchasing my next laptop and get a different brand that's made to be a longer lasting laptop.

Thanks again for the response and for your time.

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 6 (104 Views)

Hi @RunEverywhere,

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (63 Views)

Hi Biswajeet,

Thanks again for responding.  

How many days does it usually take for an HP team member to respond/reach out?  It's been just over five business days (10 total days) and I haven't received an email in my inbox or spam folder.  

Have a great day!

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 6 (59 Views)

Hi @RunEverywhere,

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation